Appeal for Invicta Grammar, failed by 2 points :(

Consult our experts on 11 Plus appeals or any other type of school appeal

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

gazzy

Appeal for Invicta Grammar, failed by 2 points :(

Post by gazzy »

Hello once again,

I thought i'd update everyone on how my daughter did on her 11plus as i haven't been on here for months. Namely reason being new job etc.

Anyway, my poor daughter failed by 2 points. Her scores are as follows: NVR 140, VR 135 Maths 113.

To say i was gutted and in tears for days doesn't come close, but i am sure there are many of you here who have gone through muchsimilar experience and know precisely how i feel.

I've decided to appeal and the hearing is on Monday 28th. My daughters school also appealed on her behalf but that was un-successful.

So as i find myself preparing for the hearing on Monday i feel like bursting into tears again. I simply did not imagine just how stressful this entire secondary school admission procedure was going to be as my daughter is my only and first child. To be honest i can't wait for all this to be over, although i find it tough throwing in the towel just yet and am not prepared to do so just yet.

Any advice anyone may have a day and a half before the appeal would be greatly appreciated!

And if it's any help to any of you, the panel is contesting my appeal on the grounds that A) my daughter did not meet the admission criteria, and B) that to admit her would be prejudicial to the provision of efficient education & efficient use of resources.

If i am going to be entirely honest, well the school sets aside 6 places for appeals and therefore already has the resources to provide for the extra number, so that argument sort of flies out the window, and secondly she missed by 2 points for heavans sake!

I can understand that argument if she was borederline on all her papers and therefore would be forced to agree that perhaps she would be using up 'efficient resources' but i can't agree. Her other high scores should demonstrate she is perfectly capable of handling the work, and all i can hope for is that common sense prevails on the day.

I will certainly let you all know how it went.

Wish me and my girl luck:)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Good luck - the high NVR shows maths ability - hopefully if you have predicted level 5 in maths you can show the test was a 'blip'.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Dear Gazzy, just had to write a note to you as your post touched me. I hope and wish for the best outcome for you and your DD.

I cannot say I understand,(as I've not been in your situation) or offer any advice,(as I'm "just a mum!) but I'm sure with a wonderful mum,as you seem to be, she will do just fine wherever your DD goes to school.

Good luck, I have everything crossed for you, and stay strong,

PM x2
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

gazzy, I will be keeping every thing crossed for you, I to did not know how stressful this process could be, we are appealing for MGS and have heard the appeals are to be 2nd - 6th July, the wait is terrible.
Anyway good luck for tomorrow and let us know the out come
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Is this Kent? If so the rules say a pass is 120, 120, 115. That to me would be borderline and I bet there is a lot of kids that have grammar places with these results. Your daughter has near perfect scores in VR and NVR, way past the 120 cut-off. She was only 2 short in Maths. Your daughter clearly is the one who should be at a grammar school! She might not have technically passed the 11+ but she appears to come into the category 'worthy of a grammar education'.

Make sure you have lots of evidence to support your daughter's abilty in Maths. The 'other side' will give out lots of info as to why they can't admit your daughter. It's standard procedure and not meant to be personal. Don't worry about it too much, just concentrate on your very able daughter.

I hope all goes well.
:wink:
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Gazzy. I don't understand why Kent has the 120, 120, 115 thing. In neighbouring Bexley we have 4 tests (2 from this year) and it's the cumulative total that counts. My son got exactly the same cumulative total as your daughter in the Kent test but his marks were more evenly spread so he passed. So your daughter's performance was just good in the maths paper instead of very good. I really don't see why this matters. Maths is one of many subjects she will do at secondary school; the other two papers show her reasoning ability which reflects her ability to perform in most of the other subjects. Obviously with her VR and NVR marks she should be in a grammar school and I wish you the very best of luck with your appeal.

One thing I wondered is, does the English paper come into play? My understanding is that, in Kent, that is looked at in borderline cases, which your case clearly is. I wondered if that would boost her performance in the eyes of the Panel?

I do hope everything goes well.
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Isn't the English task for the Head Teachers' Review and not the Appeal Panel? That's not say that you couldn't use it if was good evidence.
Bexley Mum 2

Post by Bexley Mum 2 »

Ah yes, I'm sure you're right Tracy. Probably explains why none of the Kent appeal posts ever mention it.
gazzy

Post by gazzy »

Hello again,

I just wanted to say a very big thank you for all your heart warming messages, i have to say it's given me a well needed boost in my fight to continue!

proud mum x2 - you may not have any advice to offer me, nevertheless your well meaning message is enough :)

2nd time around - July seems so far away, and my advice to you would be to prepare well and prepare early and then put it to the back of your mind otherwise it will drive you nuts! Good luck to you both and please do PM to let me know how you fared.

Tracy - Yes it is Kent, and the 120, 120, 115 rule does apply. I couldn't agree with you more, and i don't think i could have put it any better, she may not have technically passed but she's certainly worthy of a grammar education.

The English paper does come into play, but unfortunately i don't think it was good enough to cut it for her when her school appealed on her behalf. Or so they say...we shall see i guess.

Bexley Mum 2 - I've found it really difficult getting my head around the fact that to secure a place at grammar school she needed a cumulative score of 355, yet her actual score of 388 isn't good enough to do that? This probably has to be the stickiest point for me to come to terms with.

Just doing final prep for the big day tomorrow, i will of course post here tomorow to let you know how we did as well as the decision in due course.

Once again thank you for your messages, they really have helped.

I just hope and pray i'm successful. :?
Jess

Post by Jess »

Good luck Gazzy. Your daughter clearly deserves a place. I'll keep everything croosed for you
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now