Moving to Bucks

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Roopamum

Moving to Bucks

Post by Roopamum »

Hi,

We are moving to Aylesbury this summer and have been researching schools. My sons are in Year 5 and Year 2. We will need to be near good primary school for them to move to. Also we need to be near good upper school as back up. Where is a good area to move to please?

Also my friends informed me that 11+ is changing. How is it changing? Is it difficult exam? My has tuitions at home.

Roopamum
kenyancowgirl

Re: Moving to Bucks

Post by kenyancowgirl »

What has your research about schools told you?

Your research into schools will probably be far more valid than asking strangers on the internet - you know your sons better than anyone so will know what you mean by "good" primary school and upper school - you will know which grammar schools you are targetting are the best fit for their needs. Your research into housing will definitely be more valid than asking people on here - you know what budget you have - you know whether you are looking to rent or buy, you know if this is a permanent move (I hope it is) and you have disposed of your current house, you know where you work so where you need to be near in terms of transport links etc.

The 11+ is not difficult, if you know it. In Bucks it is designed to move the top 30% into the GS, so effectively 1 in 3 students.

If you want helpful answers on here, you will probably have to give a bit more information!
Roopamum

Post by Roopamum »

Hi Kenyancowgirl,

Thank you for speedy response.

We will be renting in Aylesbury and targeting AGS. We rent now too. I have done some research and found there are three upper schools in Aylesbury. I can find information on the schools. Ofsted report say they are bad or requires improvement but I have been informed that Ofsted reports doesn’t tell you everything so a school might be better or worse than Ofsted say. This is what I want to know.

My husband has job all over the place so he is not at home much. I am at home with my sons.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The three Uppers in Aylesbury - the Grange and Mandeville are the old 'satsfactory' [renamed required improvement] and Aylesbury Vale Academy is in serious weakness. You need to research the catchment if you have a preference. The Uppers nearby might be worth a look e.g. John Colet or Waddesdon but you need to live near them. There is a new Upper school opening on the old Quarrendon school site - an offshoot of St Michaels Catholic school [High Wycombe].

Why AGS though? The Floyd has a far more recent 'outstanding' ofsted and is just as good and, some would say, better in terms of pastoral care.

Primary schools vary - the good ones may well be full. Current vacancies here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... vacancies/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... l-in-year/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Please check you are in the catchment of the school you want here: https://services.buckscc.gov.uk/school- ... ns/nearest" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

I'm happy to give an opinion about specific schools once you have an area of Aylesbury in mind.

[Edited to add - only about 1 in 5 of children in Aylesbury qualify so do factor that in]
Last edited by Guest55 on Sun May 27, 2018 10:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

And here is some information about the Bucks test.
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... 12&t=53382" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Where are you living currently? Are you moving because you have heard that the grammar schools in Bucks are good? Remember that the flip side of that is the 2/3 of children who are not selected. Buckinghamshire is a great place to live but don't move "because of the schools". You may end up struggling to get places in decent primary schools and then a poor Upper, whereas where you are now may offer a decent comprehensive school (or may not, of course!).
scary mum
Roopamum

Post by Roopamum »

Thank you for all the information. That is very helpful.

We are moving because the contract on our current house runs out in summer and we have to move. Aylesbury is cheaper than Hounslow. There is no need to stay in expensive house. But also we like the school AGS for boys.

There is two bedroom apartment available in town centre. AGS is close to town. I do not have car so preference is to be near shops.

I did not know about John Colet or Waddesdon School. Thank you for telling me.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You won't be near enough to John Colet or Waddesdon in the centre of Aylesbury. Would it be better to live in Wendover? You can walk to shops there. Waddesdon does not have many shops.

Have you actually visited AGS? It has not been so popular in recent years ..
Roopamum

Post by Roopamum »

No I haven’t visited yet but there is open day on 9th July.

Looking at maps AGS is close to the apartment we were considering. I am confident that my son in Year 5 will pass Bucks 11+ so want to live close to AGS. But we may have to move again depending on rental contract.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I'm not being negative but many 'sure' qualifiers haven't.

Both Floyd and AGS are near the town centre; I would encourage you to visit both.Which Upper is your catchment from your potential flat? Which Primary school and does it have places?

Floyd open days:
8 June Open morning - ideal to see the school in action albeit with Year 11 and 13 in exams.
5 July Open evening
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Roopamum wrote:No I haven’t visited yet but there is open day on 9th July.

Looking at maps AGS is close to the apartment we were considering. I am confident that my son in Year 5 will pass Bucks 11+ so want to live close to AGS. But we may have to move again depending on rental contract.
With all due respect, you can't know that you "like the school AGS for boys" if you haven't visited yet....I would take Guest55's suggestion of visiting various GS AND the Uppers in the same areas to get an idea of which ones might suit - no child is sure of a GS place until it is offered, and be careful you do not fall foul of address rules, if you are already considering moving again for your second son...it would be awful to have any offered place withdrawn!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now