Year7 Bonding/Adventure trip

General forum for Secondary Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

NotionPotion

Year7 Bonding/Adventure trip

Post by NotionPotion »

My daughter is due to start Grammar in September and I am already worryiing about the year 7 adventure/bonding 3 day residential trip planned only a few weeks into the term.
She is not bothered about the being away from home bit but she is not particularly adventurous. She is a poor swimmer, hates zip-wires, high ropes etc. although I know she will enjoy orienteering-type stuff.
Do the children get pushed to participate in certain activities or will she have a choice of which activities she wants to do?
She is only one of three children who are going to Grammar from her school.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Why don't you ask at the Parents evening about the visit? I cannot think any school would 'make' children do things but they may wish to get them to try things outside their comfort zone.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

I will ask. Just wondered if anyone had any experience of this themselves before the Parents evening- thingy in June.
I suppose it depends on how much outside comfort zone. I think if for example they shouted "right kids, all jump in the pool and we'll do some snorkling!" then my DD would feel a bit rubbish because she can just about swim in the water, never mind under it.
Also if the activity of the day was the Giant zipwire then you either go on it or you don't-wouldn't have thought there would be any half measures there.
Don't get me wrong, she is reasonably sporty but just at ground level.
T.i.p.s.y

Post by T.i.p.s.y »

I think this trip at the start of term is a great idea as the teachers will get to know the kids personalities better rather than in just the classroom environment. I also think its very important for kids to do things outside their comfort zone especially in our cotton-wool society. This will probably be the most challenging thing she does all term, so if she copes, which I'm sure she will, then she'll have greater confidence. :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The sort of things my child did were challenging but no-one was made to do anything.
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Notion Potion, I don't think you have any real need to worry, I think the school will probably encourage your DD to "have a go" but I'm sure they won't do any more than that.

However, you may be surprised just how willing she is to try things,especially as no-one will really know of her reluctance,she will be starting on an even playing field and may be prepared and ready to challenge herself.

Our children sometimes have a funny way of surprising us,and without parents around she may try anything!It might just be ground-breaking for her! PM X2
Bexley

Post by Bexley »

My friend's ds (current Yr 7) paid the deposit for his new school's Sep 2007 residential trip, but then changed his mind about going. It doesn't seem to have done him any harm as he is now doing really well in his year,has loads of friends and IS going on the end of year residential trip :)
2nd time arround

Post by 2nd time arround »

My dd went on a long weekend trip in year 7 with her grammar but it was not complusary to go, in fact they couldn't take the whole year so it was a lottery if you were picked or not, this may be the case with your school.
She has been on a couple of these sorts of trips and has never been made to do the activities although encouraged to try. I am sure your daughter will have loads of fun and there will be many girls like her there, they will not be all action hero's :)
zorro

Post by zorro »

My DS is going on a weekend in the Peak District only a few weeks into the term too. As he goes to Scout Camp regularly he's not phased by the idea but I am !
I think it's a good idea and the children see another side of their teachers too.
NotionPotion

Post by NotionPotion »

Thanks for your replies folks, I guess she'll have to just grit her teeth and go for it. I hope like Proud mum x2 says that she will surprise me and turn into Tarzan or something!...
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now