Wok vs WGGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
tand

Wok vs WGGS

Post by tand »

Hi, DD offered place for WoK recently. Evaluating with WGGS and WGGS seems more promising
any views please...
ToadMum

Re: Wok vs WGGS

Post by ToadMum »

tand wrote:Hi, DD offered place for WoK recently. Evaluating with WGGS and WGGS seems more promising
any views please...
Which one Is easier for her to get to? They are quite a way apart.
Last edited by ToadMum on Sun May 27, 2018 11:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tand

Post by tand »

for us, WGGS is easier to travel as there is coach available...but can;t see coach service for Wok.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Public bus service (more flexible than private coach) or train?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
tand

Post by tand »

based at orpington...at this moment, have direct private coach to WGGS but for WoK, train is only option as can't find coach for it. i agree public transport offer more flexibility
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

tand wrote:based at orpington...at this moment, have direct private coach to WGGS but for WoK, train is only option as can't find coach for it. i agree public transport offer more flexibility
What were the reasons why you placed Weald of Kent above Wilmington on your CAF in the first place? Do there not still apply? (Presumably yes, if you kept your DD's name on the waiting list).

'Flexibility of transport' would actually be a big plus for me, if other things were equal, but if that were the only criterion, then I would choose a very much more local option.

Did the original ranking on your CAF reflect your order of preference, or your DD's? If it was hers, does she still think that she would prefer WoK over Wilmington, or have her priorities changed?

If you stick with the option which relies on a private coach service, how will she get to school if she misses the coach, or home again if she wants to join an after school club / is picked to represent her school in a sport or other activity / just wants to wind down at the end of the day with her friends?
doodles

Post by doodles »

Which WOK site have you been offered?

The transport arrangements for each are different. If you have the Tonbridge site then it's into Tonbridge by train and a walk to school, which is very straightforward. If it's the the Sevenoaks site you need to look at whether there's a shuttle bus / regular bus from the station to school as the walk is too far.

As TM has already said you need to revisit why you originally put WOK higher in your CAF.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Mehere

Post by Mehere »

Look at the Go Coach website. I’m assuming you have been allocated the Sevenoaks Weald site.

Go Coach run services from Oprington to both Wilmington and Weald (Sevenoaks site). It’s the 431 for Weald and they additionally run a later bus departing at 16:43 which I guess allows attendance at clubs.

I don’t know the bus number for Wilmington but I do know children who used to catch the private bus for Wilmington that switched to Go Coach.

The ticketing on Go Coach is quite flexible. The cheapest option is using a Kent connected card and topping up as necessary. You pay for each journey so you don’t pay when off sick, getting a lift or spending one day a fortnight at Tonbridge(for Weald) etc.

There must be a bus from Weald Sevenoaks to the train station as I have seen Weald children getting off the train which departs Sevenoaks at 16:05. You would have to investigate this further.

Both schools are good schools so you should be fine whichever you decide. Ease of transport could be a helpful deciding factor.
doodles

Post by doodles »

This is the cheapest method of bus travel for school children if you are Kent based.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-trave ... pass#tab-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£280 or thereabouts for the year.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

doodles wrote:This is the cheapest method of bus travel for school children if you are Kent based.

https://www.kent.gov.uk/roads-and-trave ... pass#tab-5" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

£280 or thereabouts for the year.
Orpington is in the London Borough of Bromley, not Kent CC, though?

Non-Kent residents

If your child goes to school in Kent but you're not a Kent resident they can't get a young person's travel pass. Please contact your local council.