Tiffin/Henrietta Barnett good verbal reason maths scores

Advice on 11 Plus VR papers and problems

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Grammarwannabe

Tiffin/Henrietta Barnett good verbal reason maths scores

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Hi,

Are there any parents who have gone through the 11 plus who could perhaps give an indication of where they were at this point (May - exam in September/October)? Have now done a mock (70/68 percentile). Maths/verbal reasoning papers in the low seventies. In exercises higher. Probably going for Tiffin/HBS. Really hard to fit in study time around my work/other sibling etc. Daughter is off to Brownie camp for rest of week. Any ideas on how to boost scores and whether you really need to be 10 percent higher at this point?
And how good an indicator are the mock exams? How are other parents fitting studying in?
Daogroupie

Re: Tiffin/Henrietta Barnett good verbal reason maths scores

Post by Daogroupie »

HBS uses CEM not Verbal Reasoning. You will need a score in the 90s to be one of the 300 to get into the second round.

What Maths papers are you using? I would be looking at 80s in the Habs Maths papers for the second round Maths papers at HBS but unless you focus on CEM your dd will not be doing the HBS Maths papers as she will not clear the first round.

Which mock did she do?

There are lots of mocks available but you need to be doing the ones that the top candidates for HBS and Tiffin are doing which would be the Sutton mocks (sold out) and Wilsons and Wallingtons and ST Olaves.

Other posters can perhaps recommend good mocks other than these for Tiffin. DG
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

I am utterly confused. My daughter did a CEM mock test which you book via this site. We have been using the verbal reasoning CGP books which are CEM. But is that considered traditional Verbal reasoning? What is the difference between CEM and verbal reasoning? I am doing Bond maths still but have the FPTP for numerical reasoning. What CEM book should I get to help with CEM?
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Are the Habs maths papers, the ones on the Haberdashers’ boys school website?
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Also, do you think the mocks for HBS and Tiffin are somehow easier than the ones for the Sutton schools? Many thanks for your help.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

If she did a CEM mock from this site then that was a very good one to do and you should have some detailed feedback to go through with her.

How did she do?

CEM is short timed sections with missing letters and word banks and shuffled sentences.

If the GGP books say CEM on the front then they are CEM books.

Yes the Habs Maths are on the website. I would also suggest you use the English Comprehension papers instead of Bond for the second round of HBS. DG
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

Thank you for the guidance. One paper was a non verbal reasoning, so not relevant for Tiffin or HBS. On the other papers which were mixed she was in the 68 and 70 percentile. Percentages on the paper much lower 63 and 56.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

You should be able to find a HBS specific mock and not have to waste your time doing NVR.

Were the HBS specific mocks on here all sold out?

Do you live near Tiffen?

DG
Grammarwannabe

Post by Grammarwannabe »

The mock had a Non verbal reasoning. They said she could ignore it but she did it anyway.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

So it was not an HBS specific mock then?

HBS specific mocks would follow the format of the HBS exam and not have exam types in the mock that are not in the HBS exam. DG
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now