BBC2 11+ documentary

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

ale21279

BBC2 11+ documentary

Post by ale21279 »

Documentary on BBC2 now (9pm) about pupils in Bexley preparing for 11+ exams

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0b57yst" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Brainfreeze

Re: BBC2 11+ documentary

Post by Brainfreeze »

It was a fascinating insight.

Probably not advisable to watch if your DC going through the experience at the moment!

It just brought home to me how important it is that your DC knows that not passing the 11+ does not mean you are a failure.
copella

Post by copella »

It was interesting but I didn't like the trailer they showed for next weeks programme. They had a grammar school girl crying because she was worried about grades but contrasted the non selective school pupils as aggressive and non compliant. We all know this isn't a true comparison and it is a pity they have chosen to portray things in such a stark way. It just frightens parents and convinces them that grammar schools are the only way of succeeding which just isn't the case.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Two years on and this brought it back in parts - breaking the news to my son he hadn't reached the score (while his twin had).

Seeing it on screen and 'meeting' these young people is another reminder of just how harsh this system can be.

It was interesting to see how the 11 plus works in different areas with children sitting one 'mock' in class, as our primary didn't even let you mention the 11 plus and heads don't get results sent to them.

Yes, the editing for next week's trailer did seem to show extremes.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Heads do get school allocations sent to them.

Every primary school gets the allocations for each pupil a couple of days before allocation day March 1st.

The mock in class is because it is Bexley. DG
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I live in the Birmingham area where heads/primaries don't get sent allocations, and realise it is different in other areas, which is why it's interesting to see the 11 plus set up in another area.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

The heads/schools were finding out results in October time, which doesn't happen here.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes, in Warwickshire heads only know 11+ results in October if the parent tells them. They do get the allocation a week or a couple of days before the parents on March 1st though.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Yes. That is why I used the phrase school allocations, not the phrase 11 plus results.

Primary schools get the schools allocations just before National Allocation Day on March 1st.

11 plus results are not school allocations. You have to apply after you get your result and you may choose not to apply.

Some posters on here would not actually have room on their CAF form for all the schools they sat the 11 plus for. DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I don’t disagree....but the program was showing Heads/schools getting RESULTS in October. That does not happen here. That is different to the south of the country. That is worthy of note, is what Ricky was saying.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now