Sutton High experience for girls of advanced abilities

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Daogroupie

Re: Sutton High experience for girls of advanced abilities

Post by Daogroupie »

As an example of students developing at different speeds and appearing very average at primary school: One of the students in my dds year at primary who was in the lower sets for English and Maths and was on the lowest table in the classroom will be starting at Oxford University in September. DG
Tid

Post by Tid »

It's semantics I suppose but it depends how you define excels. the dictionary defines it as
Be exceptionally good at or proficient in an activity or subject.
Considering in 2016 for example, only 7% of GCSE maths papers were awarded at A*, then I'd say achieving that is exceling relative to the population. If you narrow it down to the school population, then a relatively small percent will get straight A*, so you would have to define them as exceling too within that population. You don't have to be World, National or even school number one to be defined as exceling.

As for exceling at everything, then there are many examples of polymaths. Rob Andrew went to Cambridge University, played first class cricket, played rugby for England and British lions. I don't know if he was ever in the school play ;-) How about Bruce Dickinson? History degree, at one point No. 7 fencer in GB, Internationally famous Rock Star and Airline pilot.

Of course nobody is best at everything, but in the relatively small population of s school there will be children that do excel at everything. I met them at my school, and I'm sure there are examples all over the place.

A distraction from the original post I suppose. Apologies for that :)
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Could they play music, draw and paint though?

I don't regard any of those people as 'excelling at everything' ...
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Guest said: no child excels at everything

You countered with: that not being true, some kids excel academically at everything.

(I paraphrase both) - you were talking as if getting A* in every subject was the pinnacle of excellence. Guest and I were merely pointing out that that is far from the truth. Being academically bright is one thing but some of the brightest children I know in terms of subject attainment are, frankly, the most dull as they tend to learn everything from books and not learn/challenge themselves in other spheres. Some of them find it very hard to make friends - which is a HUGELY underrated skill - I would much rather a child who achieves well academically (but not necessarily excelling) and is sociably secure, for example. I would also rather one who loves their sport - I personally wish I had been great at art and music...!

I suspect the OP is talking from your point of view with his clumsy "advanced abilities" - but I don't like that description. Ultimately, to answer the OP, in an area with selective Grammar Schools, a private school (even if it "selects") is likely to have a lower top and bottom end than a GS, however, may have other reasons that it is better suited to a particular child.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Whether Sutton High meets the needs of girls with advanced abilities or not you are now I think in a tricky position.
Settling in days are imminent and it must be very hard on your daughter not knowing where she is going in September.
If you decide against Sutton High even if your daughter has a substantial bursary you may find you are liable for a terms fees.
It could be full fees without the bursary deduction.
It would be best to make your mind up ASAP.
fairyelephant

Post by fairyelephant »

If your DD is fairly bright she will probably do well wherever she goes. What was it that attracted you to that school? Is it close to your home, friendly and supportive? If you and she think she will be happy there then that is a fairly key ingredient for success IMHO. This school might not be top of the tree academically from what I read upthread, but that is not necessarily the right way to go for every DD of “advanced abilities”, whatever that is.
Bazelle

Post by Bazelle »

A super selective school is a stressful environment to begin with, even with an academic scholarship, my son ended up fairly average at his school and it was a bit of a shock on the system as he was used to ace everything with ease. This been said he, pastoral care, ethos and friends have been top drawer and he is now working harder as he is competitive in nature and I think he might not have done so in a non selective environment. On the other hand my daughter is in an outstanding huge state co-ed where teaching is excellent from serious special needs to Oxbridge/Medic/Vet/Engineering and is far from being complacent and works very hard too and aims very high indeed. Every child is different. What are the university destinations of Sutton high compared to your other choice? Are all the girls allowed to stay at 6th form or is it selective?