Advice re Study Time Please

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

HoldenCaufield

Advice re Study Time Please

Post by HoldenCaufield »

DD is sitting the Kent Test in September. She currently has 3 hours a week of tutoring.

1 hour is 1:1. The other 2 hours are in a group of 11 other children.

What should I be doing at home?

Thanks in advance.
ToadMum

Re: Advice re Study Time Please

Post by ToadMum »

HoldenCaufield wrote:DD is sitting the Kent Test in September. She currently has 3 hours a week of tutoring.

Thanks in advance.
Giving the poor child a break?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I think you are already doing far too much ...
olucares

Post by olucares »

HoldenCaufield wrote:DD is sitting the Kent Test in September. She currently has 3 hours a week of tutoring.

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you are doing far too much, what works for one child might not work for another. To answer your question, at home , you should probably just ensure she does her homework (if she gets any from her tutors) and maybe check that she understands what she's been taught and explaining if need be.
HoldenCaufield

Post by HoldenCaufield »

Thanks all!
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

olucares wrote:

Thanks in advance.
I don't think you are doing far too much, what works for one child might not work for another. To answer your question, at home , you should probably just ensure she does her homework (if she gets any from her tutors) and maybe check that she understands what she's been taught and explaining if need be.
Perhaps checking that she is keeping up with, and completing any homework set on the basis of, her normal schoolwork, first?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
olucares

Post by olucares »

ToadMum wrote:
olucares wrote:

Thanks in advance.
Perhaps checking that she is keeping up with, and completing any homework set on the basis of, her normal schoolwork, first?
Well, that's if she gets any homework from school. My children don't get any school homework. Moreover, her question was regarding preparation for the 11+, surely she wouldn't get Verbal Reasoning/NVR homework from school (unless in a private school).
HoldenCaufield

Post by HoldenCaufield »

She gets homework from her tutor.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I’m sorry but 3 hours of tutoring, plus tutor homework, plus school, plus possible school homework a) leaves very little time for equally important extra curricular activities and b) sitting gazing at one’s navel, or equivalent, which is equally important. Children need to be children and I worry if a child needs more than 5 hours a week minimum to get into a GS then is that the right place for them?

Having proper time off - completely off - where you don’t even mention 11+ over the summer, is really important. Otherwise you run the risk of making it the focus of her tiny young life and she will feel utterly terrible if she fails to achieve selection.
salsa

Post by salsa »

Thanks in advance.
Hi,
It all depends if you need a super score and how close from getting it she actually is. People from outside Kent sometimes think that a pass is just enough. I’m afraid it isn’t, even for local children. The other thing is that there are children who will be going for a super score to maximise their chances of getting in. They will be doing many hours per week. I know some children who went to prep schools and most of what they did in year 5 was 11+ papers, plus at least 4 as homework at the weekend.

This is nothing to do with needing that level of tuition to pass. It’s to do with obtaining super score.

Salsa