English Language GCSE - tips.

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Daogroupie

Re: English Language GCSE - tips.

Post by Daogroupie »

Which exam board is she doing?

You might perhaps have a course guide from when she chose her GCSEs, even though English is compulsory it might be listed.

Did you get any type of email from the school about this?

Did you have a GCSE meeting where you got a timeline of when various deadlines would be?

DG
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

silverysea wrote:Obviously it pales compared to Y11 woes, but my Y10 has just told me she has some sort of English exam on Monday that COUNTS! And has been treated with complete derision and rudeness all day by dd1 who is taking HER Very Important A levels and so it cannot POSSIBLY MATTER, it was a piece of cake 3 years ago. But dd2 says, yes maybe it was then but it’s harder now, no notes or spoon feeding or being led by the teacher, like dd1 seems to have got.

Any tips for that? I don’t even know what it’s called, some kind of coursework assessment.
It might be the speaking assessment? They all still have to do it but, it used to be assessed as coursework for the English Language, my memory is a bit hazy - too early!! - but I think now it is more like a required element but doesn't have a score attached to it. DS2 is still in bed - he is Y10 - I will ask him when he gets up but he is the most chilled back boy so may not know!!
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

if it is the speaking assessment then it counts in as much as they have to pass it, but it does not contribute to the final GCSE grade
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

I remember DD doing this a while ago. They can’t have a written out speech but only basic notes. It could be on a topic of their own choosing. They have to pass it, and it is graded in its own right but doesn’t count towards the final Eng Lang gcse grade, if that makes sense.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Yes that is pretty much what DS1 said (who did it last year) and DS2 nodded encouragingly but hasn't got a clue when he is doing his...!!
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

OK I've managed to find the handbook from Jan 2017 when they chose their options. It's AQA. Not much info, seeing as it's compulsory maybe no need to dress it up! and nothing about exam timing. But it does say speaking and listening are assessed but don't count towards the final grade, which may explain the lack of fanfare to parents. I think that's it.

However she is taking it seriously and I hope it will be a useful experience and help with exam anxiety etc.

I think she said they can't have notes anymore?
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

DD says (from memory) she was limited to notes of 50 words, so not the full speech, but memory joggers. She seems to think she was allowed to specify what questions she wanted to be asked afterwards. However this is for WJEC so may be different for other boards.

She is quite a shy girl and she has just said it’s not a big deal. For her to say that is quite telling. She reckons most in her year got a distinction.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Tinkers wrote:I remember DD doing this a while ago. They can’t have a written out speech but only basic notes. It could be on a topic of their own choosing. They have to pass it, and it is graded in its own right but doesn’t count towards the final Eng Lang gcse grade, if that makes sense.
DC said something very similar to it. Students have already got the grades for this assessment. It is reported (along with English Language subject grade) as Pass, Merit, Distinction or Not classified.
booellesmum

Post by booellesmum »

DD found Mr Bruff's guide to English Language very useful last year. We got ours from Amazon.
silverysea

Post by silverysea »

Ok Mr Bruff ordered and she seems to have her arguments well in hand and is now planning to memorise them- hopes to do without notes but will have as backup. She predicts her classmates to pick her argument apart and is planning good answers back with DH acting as devils advocate.

So seems well prepared- also clear about what it is and isn’t ! So stress levels now seem suitable for this task I.e. low. thanks for the useful feedback everyone.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now