Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

loobylou

Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Post by loobylou »

An article in Classic FM about the reduction in students studying music.
Such a shame (about any of the creative subjects) - my dd is really enjoying her music and the fact that it feels different from her other subjects.
http://www.classicfm.com/music-news/dec ... cse-ebacc/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Guest55

Re: Reduction in music GCSE numbers

Post by Guest55 »

The problem is not just the 'Ebacc' but the inclusion of its measure on performance tables - I blame Michael Gove.

As the article mentions this has also affected drama, art and technology ... this goes back to 2010.

Some schools do allow students to ignore the constraints of the Ebacc and we need to encourage this.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think our school must ignore it given that I don't really know what it is!
But they're not restricted in their choices except for having to take maths/English/science/one language. I'm guessing the eBacc is more restrictive than that?
(I would have thought we could blame Gove for most things that are bad about education, no? Creepy little man).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

The ebacc was his idea and it is not even a 'proper' qualification ie you don't get a certificate.

This is the Government view: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... eate-ebacc" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Many teachers disagree and think students should, beyond the basics, be allowed to choose to their own interests and strengths.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Given the experience of DD and those in her class, I can only see this getting worse with the new gcse music. They all started off fine, but most of them hated it by the end. It wasn’t down the teaching (same teachers as previous years). Simply the content and design of the gcse course I think.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Tinkers wrote:Given the experience of DD and those in her class, I can only see this getting worse with the new gcse music. They all started off fine, but most of them hated it by the end. It wasn’t down the teaching (same teachers as previous years). Simply the content and design of the gcse course I think.
That's a shame. Dd is only in year 10 but she's really loving it. I'm not sure what board she's doing and whether that makes a difference?
KS10

Post by KS10 »

It can depend on the personality of the teacher too. I know of pupils who love music because the teacher is enthusiastic and then you get some who aren't as able to convey their enthusiasm.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I’m not surprised to hear this after my DS experience.
Starting GCSE music at his school in Sept will be less than half the number doing it in his year and the school has expanded.
It’s filtered down to the lower years that it’s not much fun.
He is a good ( but not outstanding) musician. Plays two instruments at a good level and teaching himself a third.
He has absolutely hated it.
The composing was a nightmare. So time consuming.
The set works aren’t much fun either in his opinion.
He even asked to give it up during year 10.
We know several outstanding musicians who haven’t enjoyed it either.
To put this in context my DS hasn’t complained about any of his other GCSEs.
Not one to grumble at all.
Not a teaching issue at my sons school either.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

Your dd is doing WJEC chosen by the Head of Music because there is a greater percentage of marks on performance than any other board.

Both dds did GCSE and A level Music and have loved it.

Lots of very engaged students who love to perform and discuss.

Both A level Music and A level Music Technology are offered and the numbers doing GCSE and A level Music are greater than any school I have encountered. We know students who have moved from other schools to do Music in the DAO sixth form.

DD1 had 48 in her GCSE class, 16 in her AS class and 14 in her A2 class.

DD2 has 15 in her A2 class sitting this year.

43 students sat GCSE Music last year in 2017.

It will be very interesting to see the music numbers for GCSE and A level this year as it is a bulge year with an extra class so 227 in the year.

Unfortunately some parents I know were really snobby about it and tried to talk their students out of GCSE and A level Music. One parent said to me "A level Music is not a real subject." Another said " I can't believe you are letting your daughter do A level Music when she was in the top Maths set, you should make her do Maths." ( She was the only student in the top Maths set not to do A level Maths.)

There were a couple of students who were browbeaten down by their parents at GCSE and talked out of GCSE Music but then popped up again at A level and now off to Guildhall or Academy or Royal College.

20% of the Violinists currently in National Youth Orchestra are from DAO.

DD1 considered other sixth forms as she wanted to do a subject not offered at DAO but when she asked to talk to someone from Y12 at HBS currently doing music A level there was not a single student and there were only 2 at Habs girls.

Being in a large engaged group for both GCSE and A level has been one of the great strengths of Music. I don't think they would have enjoyed it so much in a small class. DG
Last edited by Daogroupie on Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are a number of different exam boards to choose from so perhaps the school chose the 'wrong' one? I've not heard of any issues locally with this.