Travelling to Wallington High School for Girls

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
2018allocation

Re: Travelling to Wallington High School for Girls

Post by 2018allocation »

Hi Junebaby,

My DD was offered a place from OOC criteria at Wallington High School for Girls which I have accepted.

Many thanks:)
Junebaby

Post by Junebaby »

Congratulations 2018 - well done to your DD.
i’ll tell my friend to call and get an updated waitlist position
supermummy

Post by supermummy »

To the OP I would say that it is more awkward than you might think owing to the distance from Wallington station and the fact that school starts at 8.20. In reality this means they need to be there for 8.15 in order to be marked in on time for registration.

If your DD got in OOC odds are she did very well in the other exams also? If she has a high score for Graveney I would certainly encourage you to think about going on the waiting list as the journey can be grinding esp if they do extra activities which most girls would like to. At the very least please do this journey yourself in rush hour and the afternoon (day finishes at 14.50). Very few girls walk to Wallington from the station (even downhill home :roll: ) so the buses get crowded and girls might not be able to get on the first bus.

We made a similar decision to you 5 years ago after DD got in OOC and WHSG was her first choice. While she has enjoyed it we are choosing a local option for sixth form as the journey is too much to bear.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Other than the strike problems on Southern, journey is very doable if some one lives near Clapham Junction. As supermummy suggested, do remind DC of alternatives as well, esp bus routes if trains are not running from/to Wallington.

If some one lives near Clapham’s underground stations on Northern Line, there is a direct bus from Tooting Broadway to WHSG.
CrystalMadre

Post by CrystalMadre »

Lots of girls commute from Streatham and Clapham. The buses are full but the school finishes early enough to enable girls to get home ‘before dark’ in the winter even if they have a 1hr journey. If your DD stays after school for extracurricular clubs then of course the day will be much longer but the buses run very frequently to Wallington or Purley station.
My DD takes the bus home and the girls seem very collegiate and travel in packs together.