Reading book suggestions

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Momneedshelp

Reading book suggestions

Post by Momneedshelp »

This is my first post in the forum but I am following it over a month. My DS is in year 4 , which is about to end. I am looking for the reading book suggestions for him please. He will turn 10 in nov.

I will appreciate your suggestions please.
Thank you
scary mum

Re: Reading book suggestions

Post by scary mum »

Welcome to the forum :D
There have been a few threads like this before, which will be hard to find in a search. I will see if I can find them later (probably in general 11 plus topics, Everything Else, or English, if you want to scroll through those topics).
scary mum
Momneedshelp

Post by Momneedshelp »

Thank you scary mom....

Even yday upto very late night I did try to find but I couldn't. But I will try to look search again..

Thank you so much
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What kind of area is he most interested in? Does he belong to your local library? Assuming that you are in Essex or Southend (from the forum region in which you are posting), have you tried sending him off to have a good long browse amongst the 'S+' shelves and seeing what he comes back with? From that, it would-be easier for others to make suggestions for further reading

DS2 read the whole of the Hunger Games trilogy within about a week at the end of year 4 (not borrowed from the library, although we did ask for his ticket to be upgraded to Young Adult as soon as he was 11, as I was fed up with having to pay the fines when I'd got books out for him that he read and mislaid :lol: . I hasten to add that it's only the Philip Pullman type stuff that he was / is interested in, no worries about finding a pile of the 'other sort' of YA novels stashed under his bed in year 6). You / may not feel this is for your DS, of course :) .
Last edited by ToadMum on Sat Jun 02, 2018 12:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

The trick is very much to find what engages him and encourages him to want to read...my son was not a big reader until 9 or 10... I read a lot too him up to then..we went through
The Narnia books, Harry Potter, Percy Jackson series, a lovely set about a wizard called Septimus Heap by Angie Sage, Elizabeth Laird, Rick Riordan writes stories based on greek, roman and egyptian myths.....the Hunger Games...others might prefer more fact based books.....kindles and ebooks have their place too...
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

This post is a useful collection of past threads on the subject
https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... =1&t=40337" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
Momneedshelp

Post by Momneedshelp »

@toadmum
Thank you for reply. I am not from Essex , we are in OOC. And thinking to give some good books for start.

@DS17C:
Thank you.. it is very true that once the kids start reading on their own ,we stop reading them. But I will really use your advice and start reading him. Thanks

@scary mum:
It’s a really good thread. And thanks a ton for searching for me.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

I'm sure that your own local library service has something similar - our 'S+' category is the last children's category before Young Adult and the highest category which can be taken out on a normal children's membership.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Momneedshelp

Post by Momneedshelp »

ToadMum... thanks and our local library is not so big but I will check online library as well...
abraham

Post by abraham »

Definitely agree with what others have said here - the fastest way I know to put any child off books for good, is to tell them what they 'should' be reading. It's much better to 'read down' and lots, than 'read up' and seldom. All three of my kids are avid readers, but it does sometimes take a bit of an effort to move them out of a reading rut. Ask him what kind of genres he likes first - does he like funny or serious, fantasy or real-life etc. etc. Your librarian is your friend here too - ask for recommendations on the basis of what books your son's already enjoyed. And many library services will let children reserve books via their online catalogue for free too so, even if your local library is small, your son will actually have access to a much wider catalogue. Tell us a few books he has enjoyed previously, and we may be able to help - I have two sons who are both bookworms, but both have had completely different reading journeys/tastes (although I think they converged a bit on The Hobbit/LOTR!)
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now