Commuting to STR and SHS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Gloucestershire (Glos)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
motheroftwo

Commuting to STR and SHS

Post by motheroftwo »

Hi,

I've twins; one will be starting at STRs and the other at SHS from Sept 2018. We are thinking of moving to Brockworth, near Tesco Extra. Could anyone please give me an idea of how is the transportation from Tesco Extra, Brockworth to STRs and SHS, please? Thanks in advance.
DC17C

Re: Commuting to STR and SHS

Post by DC17C »

Hi there I live in that area...my dd goes to SHS...very straightforward bus route. Number 10 from Hucclecote road....up to roundabout in Brockworth then change to bus 63 ( I think) there are lots of children at the bus stops in the morning going to SHS and Marling. DD leaves about 7.20 in the morning. DS goes to Crypt ...he gets number 10 bus goes other way into Gloucester and number 10 drops off at gate....I’d guess somewhere along the route in Barnwood they get off for STR...and walk up to the school...someone else might be able to clarify that...
motheroftwo

Post by motheroftwo »

Hi DC17C,

Thank you very much for your reply. That's a relief !! Thanks again :)
dr.watson

Post by dr.watson »

It's a bit of walk from Bus 10 to STRS. Maybe Carpool I'll check with my DS's classmates who live in Hucclecote area how they're planning the school commute.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

motheroftwo: some things to think about if you are going to seriously consider dr.watson's suggestion of car pooling:

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Not familiar with the school, but Google suggests about 17 minutes (0.8 mile, so probably less time for a fit adolescent, unless the terrain resembles Coopers Hill?).

I wouldn't be getting into carpooling for the sake of that much walking, personally, unless I was going that way to work anyway.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

What wrong with biking it to Tommies??
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

stroudydad wrote:What wrong with biking it to Tommies??
There are quite a few that do...
motheroftwo

Post by motheroftwo »

kenyancowgirl wrote:motheroftwo: some things to think about if you are going to seriously consider dr.watson's suggestion of car pooling:

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?
@kenyancowgirl, yes, the points you have mentioned are to be thought/taken care of in case of car pooling. Thanks for putting them all together.
motheroftwo

Post by motheroftwo »

stroudydad wrote:What wrong with biking it to Tommies??
@stroudydad, a good option to consider, thniking may be difficult during winter and wet days.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now