Need some advice about improving speed

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
sandunip

Need some advice about improving speed

Post by sandunip »

My DD preparing for exam this year. How can I improve her speed as she is currently taking 1 hour or more for the 45 minutes paper both English and Maths. Please kindly advice, would be really appreciated. I feel time is very limited now as we are in June. However hard I tried to improve her speed she has no sense of it. She has the same patter of her own way until the time is running out. she doesn't have any feeling to hurry up.
I did not have this issue when my DS is preparing. He is a Year 7 Tiffin Boy. I am so stressed now when I go back and think about the previous preparation.

Any advice in the forum or Pvt massage extremely helpful.
Daogroupie

Re: Need some advice about improving speed

Post by Daogroupie »

You need to be timing her in the same way she will be in the exam.

You don't give her 1 hour for a 45 minute paper. You give her 45 minutes and tell her pens down and take the paper away at 45 minutes and mark it and give the score for what she can do in 45 minutes.

You also need to make sure she moves on quickly if she can't do a question and does not waste time trying to do it until she has done all the ones she can do.

Every year I hear about able students who go into 11 plus never having been timed properly and end up only finishing half of the paper.

Timing is the important thing to focus on. DG
sandunip

Post by sandunip »

Thank you for the advice I will do that. I don't know how long will it take her to understand the importance of finishing the paper on time. Has any one got an experience of having this issue who finally got through. That will motivate me to get going and keep a hope that she will eventually made a positive result.
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

Most kids start like that. :wink:

With practice, timing is improved. You also need to finish KS2 syllabus before embarking on practice test papers.
newdud

Post by newdud »

Apart from timing her when she does papers, you need to focus on technique as well.

For example, when doing English comprehension style question, very quickly scan all the questions first (if you are allowed to) then read the text of the comprehension, this will mean some of the keywords needed for the answer will stick better.

When doing maths (multiple choice ) have a look at the possible answers, so for examples when working angles and say
360/5 etc, no need to work the whole working, if there is a number with 7 then 72 is the answer, no need to work out the whole division, this will save a few seconds but these do add up.

For the question that is very wordy, train to disregard 'filler information' and focus in on the actual problem.
If stuck on a question do not ponder .. move on and come back to it.

Do not time her to death in doing these papers .. all this will do is demoralize her