Primary School Frustration

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
mattsurf

Primary School Frustration

Post by mattsurf »

I am very keen for our son (year 4) to take the 11+ in 18 months time. We have started to look at practice papers, however, I feel that we are being let down by his primary school.

It seems that a huge number of topics (especially in Maths) have not been covered yet, and looking at the current rate of progress in the school, they are unlikely to be covered in the next 18 months. There is almost no homework set, and the homework that is set is far too easy.

I am upset as I feel that the school is catering for the average pupils - trying to maximise SATs and nothing is being done for the more able pupils who have a chance a grammar school.

Friends of ours who send their daughter to a private school tell us that the school is already coaching pupils to pass the 11+, this is blatantly unfair as pupils at educacted in the state sector are not on an even playing field.

We are looking for a private tutor, we have always known that this would be required, however, a tutor should be used to augment the education that they receive in school, not to substitue it entirely

I presume that other parents are in a similar position - how do you address this issue
MattSurf
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, I don't think there are any easy answers, we were in the same situation as you. My DS's and later DD's primary school left a lot to be desired.

The plain truth,as I see it, is that the Primary schools have to get the best results they can, and are mostly disinterested in what happens to the children when they leave.

Therefore, if you wish a chance at a grammar education for your children the buck stops with you,as it did with me. Find out as much information as you can about schools,admissions,exams,tutors,really do your research,and you may be rewarded with the place you want.

No guarantees however,as you said, children are prepared for 2 or 3 years sometimes in the private sector, you can do the same yourself.

I agree that this is not ideal,and that some effort could be made to prepare likely candidates,but most state primarys don't. You have to deal with what you have!

To help prepare your DS will take lots of time,possibly money, but in my book, it is worth anything to give them the chance.

If you have a good alternative to GS in your area you may not wish to go to great lengths,what will be will be,but for me and my DC I felt I had to give them what we considered to be the best chance.

Good luck in your decisions

Best wishes PM X2
clarendon

Post by clarendon »

Hi Matthew,

I think your situation is very common in the state sector. I have a year 5 daughter and a year 4 son both in state primary in Birmingham and 11+ issues are never discussed. I did raise it with my daughter's teacher when she was in year 3 and although the teacher advised my d was capable of passing she went on to say that the school is legally not allowed to discuss any issues relating to the whole procedure!

My daughter is with an excellent tutor but she has been unable to get enough suitable year 4 kids to form a group... she is having a last ditch attempt now. Certainly in our area ALL the kids who sit the tests have tutoring but it's not really openly discussed.

You could try doing it yourself with your son and the material available on this site is highly recommended although I've not used it myself. The grammars in Birmingham each have somewhat different requirements as you're probably aware. If you post on the Birmingham section of this forum the posters "fm" and "KenR" both give excellent advice.

Good luck to you and your son
Clarendon
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Hi, for some reason my post appears twice,sorry,I've tried to remove it, Perhaps one of those fantastic mods will see to it for me!
PM X2

Your wish... my command....Chad :D
Tracy

Post by Tracy »

Hi Matthew,

So many of us are in the same boat. But you already have an advantage here, you have found this website and the amount of knowledge that people pass on is incredible.

Don't rely on the primary school for anything other than decent sats results. Primaries are not interested in the 11+ but the majority of parents wont realise this until their kids are about to sit the exams.
You may even be shunned in the playgrounds for attempting to discuss the 11+!

Please ask as many questions as you wish. My daughter is in year 4 so we will be going through this at the same time. I already have a daughter in a grammar in Bexley in yr7 so I now know the ropes to a degree. I just wish I'd found this website sooner, it would have saved a lot of stress.
SunlampVexesEel

Re: Primary School Frustration

Post by SunlampVexesEel »

mattsurf wrote:It seems that a huge number of topics (especially in Maths) have not been covered yet,
You are lucky that you have spotted this. We only discovered after taking an exam. The best way is to blitz through the remaining topics, it won't take you long.

We bought a copy of the Bond 11+ Maths Techniques book to use as a syllabus (for the other exams!)

Regards
SVE
Animis opibusque parati
proud mum x2

Post by proud mum x2 »

Thanks Chad, (wherever you are) all powerful one! :lol:
bagqueen

primary school frustration

Post by bagqueen »

Hi
My DS sat Vesey and KE last year, i prepared him by using the bond books and at the very end the nfer papers. In my opinion the vesey exam is easier to prepare for as KE i understand change things around from time to time. If your child is naturally bright and picks things up well you shouldn,t stress too much- easy after the event- i know. Most children that i know who had tutoring started 12 months before-with a popular tutor in this area.
bagqueen

primary school frustration

Post by bagqueen »

Oh and btw our school sounds just like yours!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

There are some very good Primary schools in Bucks - some get well over a half of their pupils through the 11+. They also get high KS2 results ...