Y7 End of Year Assessments

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Ricky74

Y7 End of Year Assessments

Post by Ricky74 »

Just heard these are taking place next week (at HGS) but I confess
to not knowing what they are for (to set next year?) and being laid back until I saw it flagged up on another forum as I gather these are UK school wide.

My son's on a camping trip all weekend and expect him to come back shattered and into Sunday evening. I wasn't planning on asking him to do anything extra other than chill and enjoy the (soggy) trip.

Assuming that if he doesn't already know it by now....However, he started HGS late and if the assessments cover all year, just wondering if such assessments take place every year in every school?

Thanks
Guest55

Re: Y7 End of Year Assessments

Post by Guest55 »

What do you mean UK school wide? They will vary from school to school but schools should make it clear what they are for.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Ricky74 wrote:Just heard these are taking place next week (at HGS) but I confess
to not knowing what they are for (to set next year?) and being laid back until I saw it flagged up on another forum as I gather these are UK school wide.

My son's on a camping trip all weekend and expect him to come back shattered and into Sunday evening. I wasn't planning on asking him to do anything extra other than chill and enjoy the (soggy) trip.

Assuming that if he doesn't already know it by now....However, he started HGS late and if the assessments cover all year, just wondering if such assessments take place every year in every school?

Thanks
Hi Ricky

I didn't know there were others, apart from Maths and Art? I know ds has a Science test next week but as far as he's aware it's just the usual end of unit test. I think the only one to 'worry' about (but not really worry!) is Maths as the results of the two tests will dictate their Maths sets for next year. I don't think it actually matters too much what set they're in, although I know ds would be a bit downcast if he was in set 5! I plan to get him to do a bit of Maths revision on Saturday afternoon as the first test is Monday I think. I don't think it's too critical though so I wouldn't worry too much. They're definitely not nationwide tests!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Thanks all. Wondered if these were 'UK wide' in terms of all schools running their own end of year assessments, due to another forum that mentioned assessments were also taking place at their schools next week. My son at QMGS has not had these though.

Crazy, thanks! Luckily maths is his favourite so may just see if he can have a quick look over Sunday evening. He mentioned 3, including English.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Ricky74 wrote:Thanks all. Wondered if these were 'UK wide' in terms of all schools running their own end of year assessments, due to another forum that mentioned assessments were also taking place at their schools next week. My son at QMGS has not had these though.

Crazy, thanks! Luckily maths is his favourite so may just see if he can have a quick look over Sunday evening. He mentioned 3, including English.
I might be totally wrong though - have you seen the newsletter? It says there's a year 7 'exam week' and it's the week after next? So I'm completely in the dark. I'll see what ds says later, but he won't know, he's on another planet most of the time! I only found out about the maths by looking at the my homework app!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

crazycrofter wrote:
Ricky74 wrote:Thanks all. Wondered if these were 'UK wide' in terms of all schools running their own end of year assessments, due to another forum that mentioned assessments were also taking place at their schools next week. My son at QMGS has not had these though.

I might be totally wrong though - have you seen the newsletter? It says there's a year 7 'exam week' and it's the week after next? So I'm completely in the dark. I'll see what ds says later, but he won't know, he's on another planet most of the time! I only found out about the maths by looking at the my homework app!
Thanks - will have a look. He doesn't tell me much either! Not sure what he could do anyway short of looking over books/early nights. Last time he went to camp they all came back ill so hoping he won't be too exhausted come Monday!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

It should all be on the homework app as they give them revision links.

From memory it will be the end of unit science assessment and Maths. As CC says, the Maths will determine their sets for Y8 and is based on two papers; one with calculator and one without, both 45 minutes long. As a guide, DS got 83% over the two papers and is in set 1. They can change sets during the course of Y8 dependent on their test results at the end of each term.
I think DS also had a Geography one, but it doesn’t affect sets - this is still taught in form groups in Y8.
A lot will just feed into the end of year report to show their current grade and predicted grade for GCSE if they continue at the same level of progress.

Teenage boys love to talk and keep us informed (not)!!
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

helen0209 wrote:It should all be on the homework app as they give them revision links.

From memory it will be the end of unit science assessment and Maths. As CC says, the Maths will determine their sets for Y8 and is based on two papers; one with calculator and one without, both 45 minutes long. As a guide, DS got 83% over the two papers and is in set 1. They can change sets during the course of Y8 dependent on their test results at the end of each term.
I think DS also had a Geography one, but it doesn’t affect sets - this is still taught in form groups in Y8.
A lot will just feed into the end of year report to show their current grade and predicted grade for GCSE if they continue at the same level of progress.

Teenage boys love to talk and keep us informed (not)!!
Thanks Helen. Good that sets aren't set in stone. Will look on the app as it will be more talkative!
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Just so you’re aware for Y8, they have end of year tests for Geography, Science and Maths and written assessments for English and History. The Maths and Science will determine the sets for Y9 - Maths is the same, 2 papers one calculator and one without and the science covers everything they have learnt in Y7 and Y8. The science one is what DS is stressing about currently, and we’ve had to explain revision timetables to ensure he captures all the topics. To be fair, they’ve had at least 3 months notice it was coming, and have been given loads of resources to help them which is good.

Best of luck with the end of Y7 tests.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

helen0209 wrote:Just so you’re aware for Y8, they have end of year tests for Geography, Science and Maths and written assessments for English and History. The Maths and Science will determine the sets for Y9 - Maths is the same, 2 papers one calculator and one without and the science covers everything they have learnt in Y7 and Y8. The science one is what DS is stressing about currently, and we’ve had to explain revision timetables to ensure he captures all the topics. To be fair, they’ve had at least 3 months notice it was coming, and have been given loads of resources to help them which is good.

Best of luck with the end of Y7 tests.
Thanks for all the useful info Helen! Dd has had an exam week in May each year at KEHS and it’s been difficult enough with her - despite being reasonably conscientious and organised she really struggled to manage her time and find the right approach to revision. Lots of colourful pages and not much learned! I’m anticipating it being much much harder with ds (as are most things!) :)

GCSEs are going to be fun! I don’t envy Ricky going through it with two st the same time!
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now