BTEC - How are they marked

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
CarpeDiem

BTEC - How are they marked

Post by CarpeDiem »

Can someone clear up how these are marked.
I understand that if a unit is made up of 4 components each component is graded at pass/ merit / distinction. I also understand that the final unit grade allocated will be the lowest grade over the four components. For example 3x Distinction components plus 1x pass component = Pass grade overall for that unit.
However, what I cannot seem to find an answer to is if the fact that 3/4 were at a higher grade does this actually gain the pupil any extra credit/points or are they no better off than if they achieved 4 component passes.
ToadMum

Re: BTEC - How are they marked

Post by ToadMum »

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Thanks I had already found this but it didn't answer my question. I cannot seem to find anything that does.

As an example if a 10 credit unit carries 90 marks for a distinction, 80 for a Merit and 70 for a Pass.

The unit is comprised of 4 individually marked components.The student has passed 1 component and gained a distinction in the other 3 components therefore the overall unit grade is a pass (as lowest component grade is awarded). Does this mean they get just 70 marks for that unit or do they get extra credit for the fact that 3/4 were at a higher level.
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Thanks I had already found this but it didn't answer my question. I cannot seem to find anything that does.

As an example if a 10 credit unit carries 90 marks for a distinction, 80 for a Merit and 70 for a Pass.

The unit is comprised of 4 individually marked components.The student has passed 1 component and gained a distinction in the other 3 components therefore the overall unit grade is a pass (as lowest component grade is awarded for that unit). Does this mean they get just 70 marks for that unit or do they get extra credit for the fact that 3/4 were at a higher level.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I suspect that the teacher of the BTEC should know the answer...have you asked them?
CarpeDiem

Post by CarpeDiem »

Yes but still waiting for an answer! Communication from school can be quite slow and I thought I would get a quicker response from this site.