Percentage marks need to be achieved for Newstead in June

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

apprentice

Percentage marks need to be achieved for Newstead in June

Post by apprentice »

My child sat a mock test in the crofton hall in February and last week. She achieved 70% and 80% in NVR and 84% both times in VR. I am worried that her VR mark hasn't improved over the three month period. I am quite anxious now. She doesn't have a tutor and sometimes does bond books, which I mark when I have time.

My question for NW mums and dads is: what percentage did your daughters get in a mock 4 months before the actual test? Do you think I should get a tutor for my child?

Thank you very much in advance.
Last edited by apprentice on Mon Jun 11, 2018 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
PettswoodFiona

Re: Percentage marks need to be achieved for Newstead in Jun

Post by PettswoodFiona »

As the scores are standardised it is impossible to compare but the scores your DD is getting seem very healthy.

That particular provider of tests should give you the results with which type of questions were most often got wrong. Are they the same type she is getting wrong? Have you been focusing on those or still just repeating everything by doing bond books? A tutor will often take a general approach unless you provide the results and ask them to concentrate on those areas. I suspect many in demand tutors will also be quite busy in the few months between now and the tests.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

Yes, I agree with PettswoodFiona. The test company should have given you an indication of weak areas. My DD took the test a few years ago. She was scoring in the high 90s at home and had never had a tutor. Bond books and the CGP guides were useful. We worked on the speed of her answers as the tests are in 15 mins segments so you need to work accurately and fast. We also worked on her speed in the other grammar school tests and it worked a treat. She passed everything. I think you could achieve an improvement if you work with her. Can you allocate some time with her every few days? We never tried tutors and my friends complained they were too general, plus of course the expense. Remember many DCs have tutors and still don't pass.
apprentice

Post by apprentice »

Thank you, PettswoodFiona and bluesea. Her weak areas seem random. She seemed to have a problem with NVR code questions in Feb and got all the code questions right in May. On the other hand, she was fine with sequence before but didn't do well in May. Having said that, it's hard to compare as the difference could just be only one or two questions.

She is very bright and has been always on the top table at a high achieving school in the borough where many children have tutors from Y2 and I believe she would thrive in a school like NW. I think it would be a shame if my DD misses out just because I cannot afford to provide the support most other parents in her school do such as getting a tutor/tutors (one of her best friends has three tutors for different subjects! :shock: ) or sending them to a tutoring centre or kumon, etc. I am a single mother and works full-time. So, it's difficult to sit with her. I feel like I am a lousy parent...
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

The ones having tutoring from Y2 are the ones missing out - Missing out on fun, sports, time with friends and the opportunity to enjoy learning for learning’s sake.

The scores seem good, it all sounds hopeful and sometimes those having loads of tutoring are getting it as they don’t have the same starting level as your DD so please don’t feel bad.
bluesea

Post by bluesea »

apprentice. You are not a lousy parent at all. Don't think that. You are doing the right thing, trying to find a way to help your daughter over the hurdle of that entrance exam. She sounds bright and by working little by little over the next few months it will make her feel more confident. Ignore all those other parents. Three tutors for one child in primary is crazy. If that child gets into a grammar they will forever sit at the bottom academically and their self-confidence will be shot to pieces. I will PM you soon on the form of the NW test, although as a former parent I need a more recent parent of a year 7/8 to confirm it is still a four part test.

NW parents - is it still a four part test, with 15 mins per section?
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now