KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lucy Khan

KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school for

Post by Lucy Khan »

Hi my dd has scored enough for both KE handsworth girls and Sutton grammar school for girls but finding it very difficult to decide which school for my dd as I like both. Would really appreciate parents views who have dd’s at either school and their experiences. Please help. Both schools are of the same distance around 25 mins or so. Need quick responses . Thank you
ToadMum

Re: KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school

Post by ToadMum »

I assume you mean that she was offered the one on March 1st and now she has been offered a waiting list place at the other?

Have a think back as to why you ranked the schools in the order that you did. Do those reasons still apply, or has something changed in the meantime?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I don't know anything about either school and I see they are both 25 mins away.

If you are unsure which school to choose, then look at which is easier to get too, is is it just one bus, do they have to change buses, which encounters less traffic. Which would be easier for you to collect from if after school activities.

The easier journey is the one I would opt for.
Lucy Khan

Post by Lucy Khan »

Yes toadmum I was offered one first and then another off waiting list. We like both schools on visiting them for different reasons. I like the KE handsworth school grounds, facilities and the warm welcoming nature of the school and dd likes the look of the old traditional building.(she feels there’s a Harry Potter vibe). Sutton was equally friendly with a lot to offer and dd likes the extra curricular it has on offer.
I was in favour of a KE education at first but now realise I like Sutton girls too and produces great results. Want to hear do parents still favour the KE education over other grammar schools.? Would love to also hear from parents with children currently attending these schools.
Lucy Khan

Post by Lucy Khan »

Thanks nervousmom for your reply. I will be taking dd to school by car which works out more or less 25/30 mins. I live in hodgehill and Sutton is a straight run where as KE handsworth equal distance give and take 5/10 mins here and there is slightly different to get to i.e Aston expressway, then lozells onto soho road. Im familiar with both routes. I prefer the sceneric route going to Sutton than that of KE handsworth but don’t think that should be the deciding factor. By bus both schools would require 2 buses.
Both would encounter traffic in certain parts of the journey.
How has the journey been for others to these schools.? How have other parents favoured the schools and why have they picked one over the other. Would love to learn their experiences and views. I am running out of time and need to decide
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

Everyone will have their views on both schools, so that may not help your decision!

If you are truly undecided, then let your DD have the final say.

After all, it is her that will be there for the next 7 years :D
Amber

Post by Amber »

Which one would be easier for her to get to independently if you were unable to take her to school one day? It is a big commitment to say you will be driving her to school every day for the next seven years, and many young people like to have some degree of independence by the time they get to their teens.
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

I agree with Amber.

My DS and DD both go to KEFW, approx 25-30 mins in traffic each way in a car. We briefly thought about using the car, but when we thought about it, twice a day for seven years is a lot to commit to, so they both get the Green Bus.

5-10 minute journey to the bus stop in the car, then 40 mins on bus.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

I agree with the other posters - whilst both might be the same distance by car and two buses, the journey by public transport is bound to be easier to one than the other? And if not, what about the green bus? There are no green buses to Sutton, but it looks like the 843 to KE Handsworth comes near you.

You can buy a single ticket on the green bus, so this would be a very handy option to have for days when you are ill/car has broken down/you have other commitments or just when your daughter decides she wants a bit of independence. The benefit of travelling by green bus is that she might make friends with girls living near her which is really nice for when she's at a loose end in the holidays.

An 11 year old is very different from a 13 year old/ 17 year old etc and they change quite quickly, so if I were you I'd think ahead and go with the school that will be easiest for your daughter to get to on her own.

For what it's worth, we also had a choice between these two schools (although ultimately she went independent so I don't have any experience of them!) and I liked them both. I was more wowed by the KE Handsworth site and facilities and swayed that way, but really both are great schools.
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

Amber wrote:Which one would be easier for her to get to independently if you were unable to take her to school one day? It is a big commitment to say you will be driving her to school every day for the next seven years, and many young people like to have some degree of independence by the time they get to their teens.
This nails it for me. I would go with the one she can travel from the easiest.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now