KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Dadybear

Re: KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school

Post by Dadybear »

My dd is in her first year at ke handsworth what can I say apart from it being a wonderful school she has settled in & has had no problems all year brilliant teaching & atmosphere with friends & school

Both schools are more or less equal academically the area around Sutton is obviously better

We based our decision always on the closest school to us

All grammar schools are of equal footing

Always remember they have a life 2 to 3 hours of travel a day on top of homework or after school clubs the balance has to right

Congratulations to your dd & good luck in your choice
Lucy Khan

Post by Lucy Khan »

Thank you all for your replies. We have decided on KE handsworth as dd prefers that more and as she will be the one attending the school for the next seven years. The green bus option seems like a great idea and easiest option for when dd gains independence and travelling by car might not always be possible.

Great to hear dadybear your dd has settled in well and made friends and the teaching and atmosphere is wonderful which is the vibe we got when visiting the school.

Thank you all for the insight it has been extremely useful and reaffirms my original decision of why I chose KE handsworth in the first place. Although Sutton is a great school I was always swayed more towards KE handsworth for obvious reasons and the travel to and from school is important too.
helen0209

Post by helen0209 »

Congratulations on the offer :D . To help others understand movement, what was her score and where was she on the W/L to start with?
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dadybear wrote: All grammar schools are of equal footing
I am afraid this is not true and this inaccuracy is often repeated on this forum. :(

That said, I do strongly believe that GS are the right place for academically driven children. Cohorts' academic level, ways of teaching and challenging pupils vary from one GS to another one.

Wishing your DD 7 great years at KE handsworth, Lucy Khan! :wink:
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

JaneEyre wrote:
Dadybear wrote: All grammar schools are of equal footing
I am afraid this is not true and this inaccuracy is often repeated on this forum. :(

That said, I do strongly believe that GS are the right place for academically driven children. Cohorts' academic level, ways of teaching and challenging pupils vary from one GS to another one.

Wishing your DD 7 great years at KE handsworth, Lucy Khan! :wink:
I know people who left camp hill & achieved nothing & people who left handsworth to go on to be doctors

My point is this if a child wants to learn they can do it at any grammar they are on an equal footing academically

Yes yes yes camp hill has better results than five ways than Aston than so on but I bet if you took the top 10% of every grammar the results would be comparable at all

It all depends on the child not the grammar they all follow the same curriculum
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dady bear,

I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I agree with you that a lot depends on the child. I still do not agree that the opportunities given to the pupils are the same at all GS. For example, Camp Hill - as this is the school you have taken as an example - offers to its students the possibility to go to a VDI (‘Verein Deutscher Ingenieure’) conference in Germany. It is a fantastic opportunity for the students (who do not even pay their plane ticket as they are invited!). There, the latter give some talks (in German and in English!) on a topic they chose. No other school in England do that.

I am afraid I cannot agree with you that GS offer all the same curriculum and the same opportunities… but I do not want to be drawn into a comparison between GS in Birmingham.
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

JaneEyre wrote:Dady bear,

I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I agree with you that a lot depends on the child. I still do not agree that the opportunities given to the pupils are the same at all GS. For example, Camp Hill - as this is the school you have taken as an example - offers to its students the possibility to go to a VDI (‘Verein Deutscher Ingenieure’) conference in Germany. It is a fantastic opportunity for the students (who do not even pay their plane ticket as they are invited!). There, the latter give some talks (in German and in English!) on a topic they chose. No other school in England do that.

I am afraid I cannot agree with you that GS offer all the same curriculum and the same opportunities… but I do not want to be drawn into a comparison between GS in Birmingham.
So your saying a free holiday makes a schools curriculum different & gives more opportunities i was thinking superman taught at camp hill the way your going :lol:
gemgem

Post by gemgem »

Dadybear wrote:

So your saying a free holiday makes a schools curriculum different & gives more opportunities i was thinking superman taught at camp hill the way your going :lol:
At the age of 11 (or even less) children write an exam and based on the outcome, we judge them for the rest of life.
Obviously, Grammar schools provide better environment and partially because parents are more bothered about the education of children, they do tends to perform slightly better.
But thinking getting admission into a grammar schools has secured the future of a child is simply foolish.
Even in the later stages of a career, if one is ambitious, they can switch the career and be successful. That's the way system works in this country at least. There are many directors or manager without a basic degree..but they have reached the position for a reason.
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dadybear wrote: So your saying a free holiday makes a schools curriculum different & gives more opportunities i was thinking superman taught at camp hill the way your going :lol:
My standards in English are not excellent because my mother tongue is another language. But frankly, maybe you could take a little more care of your spelling, grammar and punctuation.
So you're saying a free holiday makes a school's curriculum different & gives more opportunities. I was thinking Superman taught at camp hill the way you're going.

Thank you. :D
JaneEyre

Post by JaneEyre »

Dadybear wrote:

You seem to have a strange idea of what a vacation is. :shock: I do not see how doing research on a topic then preparing a presentation on it in English and in German, and then doing this presentation in front of German engineers and attending conferences in German is a holiday for you. :?

Your use of language and words and mine seem to be very very different :!:
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now