Summer holidays...

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
sportsforall

Summer holidays...

Post by sportsforall »

Two DDs, one finishing Y6 and one finishing Y7. Six weeks holidays, two on actual holiday when I take annual leave, one with granny, one on a summer camp, leaving two weeks and a few days to fill.

The are too old for day care and need some time at home chilling (aka looking at screens whilst wearing pyjamas) but I don't feel I can leave them yet for more than a couple of hours.

I am sure this discussion has come up many times before but, what are you doing with your DC this summer if you / DP have to be at work?
stroudydad

Re: Summer holidays...

Post by stroudydad »

sportsforall wrote:Two DDs, one finishing Y6 and one finishing Y7. Six weeks holidays, two on actual holiday when I take annual leave, one with granny, one on a summer camp, leaving two weeks and a few days to fill.

The are too old for day care and need some time at home chilling (aka looking at screens whilst wearing pyjamas) but I don't feel I can leave them yet for more than a couple of hours.

I am sure this discussion has come up many times before but, what are you doing with your DC this summer if you / DP have to be at work?
At the risk of sounding smug, we thought about all this before having kids so the issue doesn't arise... But on a serious note, activity camps?
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Yes school holidays are always a problem for working parents.
Everyone's personal circumstances are different put some possible solutions might include:
- Asking grandparents to come and stay.
- One of you working from home some days if work allows.
- Local sports clubs running holiday sessions.
- Asking friends to help out/ share (you take theirs for a day they take yours)
Rugbymumto2

Post by Rugbymumto2 »

Rugby athletics club do Startrack which mine are going to, they take kids up to Y9 and they are seperated into age-groups, there are 3 weeks over the 6, mine will do 1 of them as we can't fit the other 2 in.

There is a camp at Bilton Grange too which my friends DD goes to but there aren't so many older ones usually.

Hot Shots do a basketball camp at Harris which also has quite a lot of older ones, not sure on dates for this year though.

QDJC does camp but feedback is that it is aimed at the younger end.

Hope that helps :)
streathammum

Post by streathammum »

Our Y7 son did a week at Stagecoach over Easter - acting, singing and dancing with a production in front of parents at the end of the week. He enjoyed it so it didn't feel like 'childcare' and the days were shorter (10 to 4 I think) so he had a slower start in the morning and time afterwards for chilling out, but something organised for most of the day. He took himself there and back on the train. I know there are lots of venues in London but I don't know how far they spread in the rest of the country.

This summer my two will be doing at week at PGL, which won't be chilling out as such but should be more fun than the traditional childcare options.
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

stroudydad wrote:
At the risk of sounding smug, we thought about all this before having kids so the issue doesn't arise... But on a serious note, activity camps?
If only my crystal ball had told me 14 years ago that my mum would have dementia by the age 70 and my husband's job would be so different.

Thanks for the suggestion about the Rugby-based things, will look at those. They did PGL a couple of years ago but already have two weeks of high-action so not sure they need anymore, or if my budget could stand it.

I will WFH a few days and I have found a young woman who has just completed GCSEs to have them a few days, although no idea what to pay her. I think I will leave them for a few half days as well.

Mostly just curious to see what others do...
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Locally we have a holiday club that takes to 14yo and our DD went to that in year 7. By year 8 she was happy to be left at home, but I work mornings. We gave her the choice in year 7 but she was in two minds about being alone.

Problem we found was that most things run from 10 to 3 or 4, which is next to useless for anyone working. Most of them are sports based and DD just isn’t really that sporty.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

sportsforall wrote:I will WFH a few days and I have found a young woman who has just completed GCSEs to have them a few days, although no idea what to pay her. I think I will leave them for a few half days as well.
How well do you know her? Does she have any training? Is she insured? Have a DBS? Are you sure thi 16 year old is really well-equipped for this?
sportsforall

Post by sportsforall »

She is looking after an 11 & 12 year old not tiny babies and toddlers. Something I frequently did as a teenager. Would you do the same for a babysitter?

I do know her very well, she is DBS checked as she is a young leader at the YC I run.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I would insist of all of them - 11 and 12 year olds are only a few years younger than her and she is not an adult.