As an experienced parent what will you advice new GS Joinees

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Varsha2017

As an experienced parent what will you advice new GS Joinees

Post by Varsha2017 »

Hi,

This is to seek for advice from experienced Parents whose kids are in GS.
Looking for info on aspects like making friends, peer pressure, bus travel etc.

I am sure this Forum has some valuable advice to give.
sportsforall

Re: As an experienced parent what will you advice new GS Joi

Post by sportsforall »

Buy a large storage box - everything for school goes in it. Books, art supplies, stationery...then it is all together when they need to find it. Stick their timetable to the lid.

Get them to pack their bag the night before.

I'm still learning everything else...
Last edited by sportsforall on Fri Jun 15, 2018 8:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I would say:
Be relaxed about friendships. In my experience with both my children it's been halfway through year 8 that they found the friends that I think could be their long term friends. Don't worry when friendship groups shift and move ( though obviously check that they are not being ostracised/bullied etc).
Don't baby them. Most children of 11 are perfectly capable of sorting out their own bag/homework/lunch/catching the bus. Make sure they know what to do if anything goes wrong (eg they miss a bus) but don't do everything for them.
Allow them to make mistakes. If they forget a piece of homework etc allow them to face the consequences.
Praise their efforts rather than their results/outcomes.
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

loobylou wrote:I would say:
Be relaxed about friendships. In my experience with both my children it's been halfway through year 8 that they found the friends that I think could be their long term friends. Don't worry when friendship groups shift and move ( though obviously check that they are not being ostracised/bullied etc).
Don't baby them. Most children of 11 are perfectly capable of sorting out their own bag/homework/lunch/catching the bus. Make sure they know what to do if anything goes wrong (eg they miss a bus) but don't do everything for them.
Allow them to make mistakes. If they forget a piece of homework etc allow them to face the consequences.
Praise their efforts rather than their results/outcomes.

Very valid and apt comment. Thank you.
Considering they will be just entering a GS so many of them will be on a high ...sooner the reality will hit and efforts will take front seat which should always be the case. Not to sit on past Laurels. Managing bus, time will need to be taken into account.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It's no different in a GS ....

The transition to Secondary just requires students to begin to take responsibility for their own learning and organisation.
Get them to have a timetable on their bedroom wall with the days for PE/Games/DT/music lesson [if applicable] so they remember the 'extra' stuff.
Get them used to buses and working out different ways of getting home should they miss their 'normal' one.
mad?

Post by mad? »

Guest55 wrote:It's no different in a GS ....
+1
Indeed, I would only refer to it as going to high school and ensure that DS does not in anyway consider entrance to a grammar school different, as that way raising an obnoxious git lies. Time for him to spread his wings and take responsibility, for you to keep a (not too close) eye on things and to step back and let him do it himself.
mad?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

+2
Ricky74

Post by Ricky74 »

I have one who loses things and one who doesn't so be prepared for lost bus passes, keys, coats etc.

To mitigate some of this we have keys on a spiral keyring clipped to bag, we buy weekly bus pass and have a few spares.

Bags will be heavy so buy a big enough bag.

We bought everything that was promoted at the uniform evening one school put on - to the tune of £160 on sportswear alone!! Wouldn't do that again or would buy some items (trunks, pump bags etc) from cheaper suppliers.
purplelilacs

Post by purplelilacs »

+3 !!

My advice would be the same as that for all 11 year olds who are making the transition to secondary school.

Actually the only slight addition to that would be that they will probably now have to cope with the fact that they are going to be surrounded by children who are as academically able as they are and lots who are probably even more able. That can be a shock. If you come from a small primary school where you’ve always been a high achiever academically, suddenly finding yourself in the middle or even the bottom of the group can be a hard transition.

Encouraging them to become a a resilient learner with a growth mindset can be helpful - but I’d offer that advice to all children regardless of what school they are attending!
doodles

Post by doodles »

As for any dc going to secondary school, organisation, organisation organisation.

Plus, do let them fail/forget something. Don't always chase down the road after them when you see the PE kit / art folder / cookery ingredients left by the frontdoor. It sounds hard but they will learn quicker if you don't always dig them out of a tight spot. Believe me it's hard not to "rescue" them but it really is better in the long run.

I've just asked DS and his advice is "don't worry it's new to everybody" and "talk to people"
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now