September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
halsea

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by halsea »

Hi :) Can I join the September 2018 gang. Panicking about how little time there is left, as I am normally a very organised person; but this deadline has completely passed me by. Looking forward to sharing the journey
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

halsea wrote:Hi :) Can I join the September 2018 gang. Panicking about how little time there is left, as I am normally a very organised person; but this deadline has completely passed me by. Looking forward to sharing the journey
I wouldn't panic just make sure you use the next few weeks well...especially the six weeks holidays :)
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks Caveman :) The issue is that we booked several trips away before knowing the deadline was so soon. Are you all using the Bond books for 10-11+ with your children? A friend who has recently gone through the process recommended those.
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

halsea wrote:Thanks Caveman :) The issue is that we booked several trips away before knowing the deadline was so soon. Are you all using the Bond books for 10-11+ with your children? A friend who has recently gone through the process recommended those.
We used CGP books with my son. I have another son in year 4 and we are still using the CGP books. I like them.
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

Caveman47 wrote:
halsea wrote:Thanks Caveman :) The issue is that we booked several trips away before knowing the deadline was so soon. Are you all using the Bond books for 10-11+ with your children? A friend who has recently gone through the process recommended those.
We used CGP books with my son. I have another son in year 4 and we are still using the CGP books. I like them.
We found the CGP 10 minute test books really good.

We did a few mixed papers in August - as long as you can fit a few in, to practice the timing and doing a mixture of different topics.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks both, are they these books?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CGP-11-Plus-Sc ... 1966529031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

halsea wrote:Thanks both, are they these books?
https://www.amazon.co.uk/CGP-11-Plus-Sc ... 1966529031" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Yes that's the books.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thank you. We are visiting Five Ways for an open day at the end of this month, have you guys already been?
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

halsea wrote:Thank you. We are visiting Five Ways for an open day at the end of this month, have you guys already been?
My children and in year 7 and 9 now so we’re past the open days but we loved Five Ways when we visited. Is that your nearest grammar? I’d advise visiting all of them in case you find yourself looking at a score in October which wouldn’t quite make Five Ways but would be enough for another Grammar. It’s good to have thought it through in advance including travel arrangements!
nervousmom

Post by nervousmom »

When my DS & DD did the 11+ I managed to find some CEM papers on line (cem are the people who write the exam)

Over the last couple of years the exam is weighted more towards verbal reasoning , they need to have a wide vocabulary, so need to spend the summer reading.

Have you registered yet? The deadline is looming.

We are lucky to have the choice of Birmingham and Warwickshire schools where we live, when looking at schools for DS we visited KES (Stratford, which I loved) Alcester Grammar and Five Ways.

My son loved FW, it had a really nice feel and vibe.

You do need to visit the schools before deciding on them.

DS in year 11 at FW (last GCSE today!) And DD in year 8, both are very happy there. (My niece is starting in September)

Good luck!