KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school for

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Dadybear

Re: KE handworthworth girls school or Sutton grammar school

Post by Dadybear »

JaneEyre wrote:
Dadybear wrote: So your saying a free holiday makes a schools curriculum different & gives more opportunities i was thinking superman taught at camp hill the way your going :lol:
My standards in English are not excellent because my mother tongue is another language. But frankly, maybe you could take a little more care of your spelling, grammar and punctuation.
So you're saying a free holiday makes a school's curriculum different & gives more opportunities. I was thinking Superman taught at camp hill the way you're going.

Thank you. :D
Didnt know I was taking the grammar test :lol:
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

JaneEyre wrote:
Dadybear wrote:
JaneEyre wrote:Dady bear,

I am sorry if I have hurt your feelings. I agree with you that a lot depends on the child. I still do not agree that the opportunities given to the pupils are the same at all GS. For example, Camp Hill - as this is the school you have taken as an example - offers to its students the possibility to go to a VDI (‘Verein Deutscher Ingenieure’) conference in Germany. It is a fantastic opportunity for the students (who do not even pay their plane ticket as they are invited!). There, the latter give some talks (in German and in English!) on a topic they chose. No other school in England do that.
So your saying a free holiday makes a schools curriculum different & gives more opportunities i was thinking superman taught at camp hill the way your going :lol:
You seem to have a strange idea of what a vacation is. :shock: I do not see how doing research on a topic then preparing a presentation on it in English and in German, and then doing this presentation in front of German engineers and attending conferences in German is a holiday for you. :?

Your use of language and words and mine seem to be very very different :!:
In England it's called holiday not vacation

I bet ur text messages must b so boring :lol:
um

Post by um »

The topic was a discussion between choosing Sutton Girls or KEVI Handsworth Girls - and a dismissal of one poster's text messages really is personal and not relevant at all so I'd rather shut down that conversation thread.

Can we go back to topic please?

There are 8 grammar schools in Birmingham and while all are admittedly excellent and highly oversubscribed, different children may indeed suit different schools and it's reasonable for the original poster to ask for opinions, particularly as the travel time is so similar.

I don't have any personal experience of KEVI Handsworth or Sutton Girls - other than I've attended their open days and was very impressed with both.

It would be good to hear on this thread from those who do have personal experiences or who have researched the schools themselves.
LolaD

Post by LolaD »

Lucy Khan wrote:Thank you all for your replies. We have decided on KE handsworth as dd prefers that more and as she will be the one attending the school for the next seven years. The green bus option seems like a great idea and easiest option for when dd gains independence and travelling by car might not always be possible.

Great to hear dadybear your dd has settled in well and made friends and the teaching and atmosphere is wonderful which is the vibe we got when visiting the school.

Thank you all for the insight it has been extremely useful and reaffirms my original decision of why I chose KE handsworth in the first place. Although Sutton is a great school I was always swayed more towards KE handsworth for obvious reasons and the travel to and from school is important too.

Congratulations to your DD!

As previously requested, please help other parents by posting your DD's score and waiting list position(s) for the school you were offered from the waiting list. It would really help parents who are anxiously awaiting news on waiting lists.
Guest2014

Post by Guest2014 »

My older daughter (yr9) was in the same situation as the OP (offered Sutton and then KE Handsworth in June). We chose KEH because it is closer. My younger daughter (yr7) did well enough to go to CHG but we sent her to KEH, however, we thought about CHG and decided that it did not offer sufficient additional benefits to make the extra commuting and hassle worth it.
A particular child from a supportive family will do equally well in any GS.

I have taught maths for 26 years, 12 of those in GS in Birmingham and Kent and I see little difference between the GS for 90% of pupils.

The OP has made a sound decision and I wish her daughter well at Handsworth Girls, both of mine are very happy there.