QM Grammars expansion consultations

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
quasimodo

QM Grammars expansion consultations

Post by quasimodo »

http://www.qmgs.walsall.sch.uk/index.ph ... Itemid=233" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Further expansion plans additional to those having taken place in last few years.

Sounds like similar plans at QMHS also.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Ricky74

Re: QM Grammars expansion consultations

Post by Ricky74 »

Yes we got this letter today. I'll be popping in to the consultation in a couple of weeks.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

https://qmhs.org.uk/selective-schools-e ... sultation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

This is the QMHS consultation.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
beepdad

Post by beepdad »

These proposals for QMGS worry me.

They are planning to expand again before the last 3 expansions have worked their way through the school.

The most recent GCSEs results are from last year for boys who joined when the admission number was 96 and there were about 700 boys at the school. These plans will take the admission to 180 and the school size to 1400! Twice as many kids on the same site!

Admission history

Code: Select all

2011:   96 boys (current 6th form)
2012:   96 boys (current 6th form)
2013:  112 boys (current yr 11)
2014:  112 boys (current yr 10)
2015:  120 boys (current yr 9)
2016:  150 boys (current yr 8)
2017:  150 boys (current yr 7)

FURTHER INCREASE PROPOSED TO 180!
I don't know what makes the school think that it can cope with 180 boys a year, when it hasn't yet had exam results through for any year with more than 96 boys in it. The increases over the last few years haven't yet worked their way through the school, so the school hasn't yet proven it can cope for 120 or 150 boys in a year yet.

It's obviously already going to be difficult to cope with 150 boys a year as it is. The increased number since 2016 is moving up through the school and will require more facilities which will involve a lot of disruption. The school has to get through this first and shouldn't even be thinking about expanding again yet. For those of you who have visited QMGS and also been to some of the comps which house that number of boys, you will know that QMGS is tiny in comparison to the comps that look after 1400 boys.

On top of this the school is under a new headmaster and whilst I am sure he will be great at his job, he is going to have to suddenly be managing a much much bigger school than his very experienced predecessor did.

I see this proposed expansion a huge risk on top of what is already a large increase. It will do no good for the children at the school currently and whilst the aim is to provide more opportunities for more children, it won't achieve that if it lowers the quality of the school.

Can you please make your thoughts known by completing this survey.

https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/KG33TLC" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now