How much can a mock score improve between now and September?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Essex

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
disneyfan

How much can a mock score improve between now and September?

Post by disneyfan »

Hello,
Thanks for reading- this is my first time in the forum and any advice greatfully received.
Daughter has (just!) decided she would like to sit 11 plus so we are incredibly late starting our preparation. We attempted 1st practise paper today and results were very poor- around 40 percent mark. Can anyone who has previously had children sit the test advise what percentage they were able to increase mock results by? This would give me some information / enable me to have a realistic conversation at home about whether to commence preparation or not.
Thanks in advance.
Guest55

Re: How much can a mock score improve between now and Septem

Post by Guest55 »

Welcome

It's a bit quick to tackle a full paper. Go through where she has made mistakes and work out whether it was lack of knowledge or just a simple error. Focus on finding gaps and filling them; worry later about timing and full papers.
disneyfan

Post by disneyfan »

Thanks for the advice- will work on gap filling for now then as daughter said she hadn’t covered some of the questions st school yet.
Thank you.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I don't know about Essex, but the school doesn't usually cover 11 plus stuff in lessons. This section may help you https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/schoo ... ex-11-plus" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
scary mum
disneyfan

Post by disneyfan »

I’ll have a read up on this- thanks for the link.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have a different point of view on the timing.

I think that timing is the most important thing to get right and should be your top focus.

She will get better each paper she does and she will also adjust to the format. It never ceases to amaze me how quickly ten year olds adapt to it.

I know students who have started in July for a 1st September exam and got a place but they have had the motivation and focus.

Students who want to go to the school they are working towards have a much greater chance than students who simply have parents who want them to go to the school. DG
disneyfan

Post by disneyfan »

Interesting point, will have a think- maybe I can look at some papers,try teaching some topics that she hasn’t done at school that feature and then get her to try a paper again.
Many thanks.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

DG is a tutor so interpret her posts in that light.
disneyfan

Post by disneyfan »

I guess everyone has different ideas depending on their position and experiences- lots to think about and learn- head is spinning with all the information!
Thank you
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I will PM you.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now