Summer courses for young people into computing

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
DC17C

Summer courses for young people into computing

Post by DC17C »

Anyone with a child interested in a career in computer science and cyber security? There are some summer courses offered for different age groups. Worth knowing about for next year if places are filled in your area.
https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/information/cyberfirst-courses" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Hera

Re: Summer courses for young people into computing

Post by Hera »

Thank you. I have been looking for something like this. Fully booked in our area for this year but will discuss with DC for the future. He is keen to get some relevant material to put on his UCAS form as well.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

You don't need this for UCAS - there are other ways of showing interest.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Hera wrote:Thank you. I have been looking for something like this. Fully booked in our area for this year but will discuss with DC for the future. He is keen to get some relevant material to put on his UCAS form as well.

I think Reading uni are doing something but can’t find.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Guest55 wrote:You don't need this for UCAS - there are other ways of showing interest.
Of course there are, but it is relevant, he will be extremely interested in doing it and as an added bonus it is something relevant for his UCAS form.
Hera

Post by Hera »

I think Reading uni are doing something but can’t find
Thank you Tinkers I will have a look. The course I had found at a London Uni was run by a private organisation offering multiple different subjects and DS was not all impressed at what they had to offer; plus it was very expensive.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera wrote:Of course there are, but it is relevant, he will be extremely interested in doing it and as an added bonus it is something relevant for his UCAS form.
Universities tend not to take note of organised courses such as this [not available to everyone] - it's far better to set up something for yourself.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Universities tend not to take note of organised courses such as this [not available to everyone] - it's far better to set up something for yourself.
The course as far as I can see is available in different parts of the country and is offered free. It is extremely hard to organise work experience in a relevant company, believe me DC has tried and is currently doing a week's post GCSE work experience in an unrelated area. We are in a better position than many to understand and access this as DH works for a major blue chip IT company and DC lives and breathes tech. Work experience is definitely not available or accessible for the masses. This post is really useful for us and your comments are not overly helpful and are a little condescending :cry:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Hera - I was involved in UCAS applications for many years - so I speak with knowledge about the process. You do not need work experience or a course for computing degree; they won't help an application.

Many families won't be able to access these courses - they cost money to get to and there are none local to many parts of the country.

Your child is better of getting involved with a computing club or teaching themselves a computing language.Universities will value this FAR more than any organised course or work experience sorted out by a relative [not available to all] If you don't want this advice them do ignore it but it might help others - widening access means filtering out this sort of advantage.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

I know that travel costs are a consideration but I can’t help but think this is a good opportunity as the course itself is free.
Presumably this is government sponsored.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now