How to improve word problem speed?

11 Plus Maths – Preparation and Information

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Cass1

How to improve word problem speed?

Post by Cass1 »

My daughter finds this the hardest and is the slowest at this.

In a recent mock she managed to finish all the short maths questions: 30 in 15 mins with only 1 wrong but got only 3/4 way through long maths and got 3 wrong. I know it is normal for children not to finish this section. We have managed to improve her speed a little and her accuracy a lot by giving her 10 minute tests Maths Word problems recently but she is getting bored of these.

Anybody got any tips of how we can help her extract the info she needs from the question. Or any more interesting ways of practicing? A game or app she might enjoy more?

TIA
Guest55

Re: How to improve word problem speed?

Post by Guest55 »

If you search then I've posted ways for improving solving word problems before. Get back to me if you can't find them.
Cass1

Post by Cass1 »

Thanks for the reply Guest55.

I have seen your posts about talking out load and found the word problems on primary homework help. Is that what you meant?

I can see the talking aloud might help. It seems to help with shuffled sentences.

Can I ask what is your view on multi-step maths questions?. I had told her to leave them to last in the test but she didn't remember.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It was the suggestion about making up your own problems.

Start with a simple statement like 'A bag of crisps [more healthy choices can be made] costs 50p'

Make up a single stage problem. Examples might be 'How much does 3 bags cost?', 'How many bags can I buy for £3.50? £5.75?'

Then move on when she is confident and add another step e.g. calculating change, adding another item.

By making up their own problems they learn to deconstruct others.
Cass1

Post by Cass1 »

Thanks. Hadn't managed to find that info. Will try that. Funnily enough, she is always much better on the questions about food and sweets. I taught her fractions and ratio with M&Ms and smarties!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Btw I should have said to make her make up the questions - sweets are not fattening in maths questions!