Questions I could be asked by an appeal panel - Townley

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
lrb76

Questions I could be asked by an appeal panel - Townley

Post by lrb76 »

Hi everyone

It's been a while since I visited. I was planning my ds's appeal the last time, back in 2010. He never did get to Grammar school but he did gain an apprenticeship for the largest engineering company in the world and is into his 3rd year, the first of his uni degree.

Anyway I'm back this time for dd who missed the pass mark by 6 marks. She has good support from her school and there were extenuating circumstances at the time although I'm under no illusion that we'll be successful. I just feel ill regret not appealing in years to come.

I've had a search but can't find any Info reference the type of questions I might be asked by the panel. Would someone kindly point me in the right direction please. msny thanks
kenyancowgirl

Re: Questions I could be asked by an appeal panel - Townley

Post by kenyancowgirl »

I think they can ask you about anything to do with your childs interests/education.

I would say though, instead of just popping up for help with appeals, once you have got what you need, perhaps you could stay around and help others especially with apprenticeship advice? It is a very small area with not much information and your son obviously has done very well despite not having a GS education (which is something Ii am often hear saying on here - GS is not be all and end all, a bright child with support from home will do well wherever they go!)

Post by 1971 »

Hi LRB76.

You haven't said when your hearing is. I'm there for Townley tomorrow, so will post later tomorrow about what we are asked.

Just wanted to wish you good luck.
Seendy1

Post by Seendy1 »

Good luck 1971. Looking forward to hearing how the whole appeal process goes.

Post by 1971 »

Hi LRB76 and any others preparing for a Townley appeal who might be interested in a summary of our appeal hearing - I will do a full listing on the feedback thread once we have the result in approx. 2 weeks.

I raised a few points with the school about their case inc new dining hall and computer suite etc. The school accepted that the dining hall had increased space, and the net gain in classrooms from making the computer suite is 2 classrooms.
• Panel asked school to explain how it deals with changes of classroom, given that they had made reference to the fact that some of its hallways are narrower than it would like. To be fair the school didn’t try to play up any difficulties in this area, and I didn’t feel that the answer would damage our chances.
• asked school to confirm that a head teachers review had taken place, and whether the disruption at the table next to my child for 20 mins was considered. School confirmed that a htr had taken place, but had no details of what was considered. I confirmed that at the time of requesting htr I had not been aware of the length of the disruption and had not seen what the school put forward. The panel commented that therefore none of us knew whether the disruption had been considered at htr.
• Asked a question about the child whose distress had caused the disruption, and how things were working out for her. Maybe they were just being kind - maybe testing my comment that they had been friends since 3yrs old, and therefore would have affected my dd’s concentration.
The school raised no questions about the academic evidence, extenuating circumstances, or our reasons for wanting Townley.
• Panel stated which school they thought we had been allocated based on our case, and asked if we had accepted. I confirmed that this was right, and that we had accepted, as the borough’s advice is to do so as it will not prejudice appeal.
• asked if we had any other children. The answer no shut down any further lines along this line about what schools they may go to.
• Asked question about where we lived. Maybe testing whether it is as close as I stated, as they were not familiar with the road.
No questions were asked about what our dd reads, activities (although I briefly covered that in why townley) or about how we had prepared for the test.
Panel suggested the clerk read his notes before any summing up. He did not cover the school’s case and the questions raised by that, only ours and the questions and answers. It was read as a summary, rather than word for word. We therefore did not sum up, but trusted that the key data was in our submission which was relatively concise. In hindsight I am concerned that when they complete the hearings next week and look back at the notes to make decisions, nothing on the questions about the schools case might be considered, if not noted. Obviously our original submission did not refer to the schools case, because we did not receive it till later.

Best of luck to everybody. I did find it nervewracking, but everybody concerned seemed very nice.
cafworries

Post by cafworries »

1971 would you mind describing the disruption please? My son experienced similar (but differing circumstances as was in a separate 'quiet' room from the main block of children as he is on the spectrum) whereby a boy in this room (there was only a total of 3 children in this quiet room sitting the test) caused a commotion as he vomited and the disruption caused by the clean up operation was quite intense. I am currently going through an appeal also (although not for a selective school, but a better fitting school for my son's needs) and wondered whether to mention this. Also how did you find out? Was it from your daughter or did the school tell you?

Good luck for your appeal and I hope you receive the outcome you want!

Post by 1971 »

Hi cafwories. A friend who was on the table behind her was crying for 20 mins. She did tell me on the day that there were various reasons why it was more distracting than the kent test, and I could tell from her description of teachers actions that she had stopped work for a short while whilst her friend was crying. However at the time I didn't really focus on this particular issue.

When preparing for the appeal, I asked the school whether i should mention this and the school volunteered the length of time, which was something I was not aware of, confirmed it in their letter of support, and provided copies of the exam log.

I think because we had the academic evidence to support it being a lower than expected score at only 2 points off, and the evidence of the issue, the panel seemed to take this seriously. About another week till we actually find out.

Have you had similar school support in terms of evidence for your appeal? Good luck, and hope your son gets a school that is right for him.
Seendy1

Post by Seendy1 »

Any response from the appeal panel yet?! Just wondering if there will be more movement on the waiting list

Post by 1971 »

unsuccessful. The letter didn't indicate whether there had or had not been any successful appeals. Good luck to all those on the waiting list.
Nachan

Post by Nachan »

1971 wrote:unsuccessful. The letter didn't indicate whether there had or had not been any successful appeals. Good luck to all those on the waiting list.
I'm sorry to hear that 1971. I heard that there were 2 successful appeals at Townley, 3 at Beths and I think 3 at Chis & Sid (although I may have misremembered that one). Many more than previous years. This year is a very strange one that's for sure!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now