September 2018 anyone?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Birmingham, Walsall, Wolverhampton and Wrekin

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
kenyancowgirl

Re: September 2018 anyone?

Post by kenyancowgirl »

halsea wrote:I'm not a crazy mum as you can see from the fact that she does very little after school unlike a lot of her YR5 peers. But I do think that the top universities will want to hear what she does with her life other than school.

There is part of me that is thinking about not putting her through the test stress if we decide the transport issue is too big an issue, hence all the thoughts and questions. I was sporty but she isn't, but I don't want her to be a teenager just sat in her room.
The "top" universities (and, I must confess that despite being a careers adviser for over 20 years, I couldn't tell you which the Top universities are as it depends on so very many factors....) may not be the most suitable for your daughter - she may not be university material at all or it may not be the most appropriate route. Any university is not interested one jot in stuff that people have done because they thought it might look good on their UCAS form - they are interested in things people have done because they were genuinely interested in doing it, however. Interestingly enough, I have recently been sepaking to three admissions tutors for medical courses - they all admitted that actually they do not even read the persoanl statement or the reference. These are only read in the case of someone who is borderline after interview, in which case it becomes very important. It also gives you things to talk about at any interview. Not every child does every thing - some children do nothing except their school work and being a teenager - some of these still get places at university. Don't force the issue - if she is interested in soemthing encourage it, suggest things by all means but if she isn't interested she will find her own way/interests.
halsea

Post by halsea »

Thanks Kenyancowgirl, as I said she doesn't do anything right now because I think its important to be a child and have time to relax. As a teenager who did a lot of sport, I appreciated having friends that weren't necessarily in my sets and an outlet from academic stresses. I just want her to have the opportunity to try things, but if theres no transport, how can I. You can't develop interests if you don't try things.
Raych

Post by Raych »

I can’t believe how close the test is, the week before should we slow down on the revision as not to burn out
guest201

Post by guest201 »

Over the last few years the exam has been the first weekend after they go back to school, (not sure when it is this year) so they are back at school after the summer break, which is enough for most kids to keep them ticking over, I would suggest you don't really do anything in the last week, they will probably be tired anyway after returning to school. Most importantly don't stress, if you are stressed try not to show it, as this will only get you child stressed.
Dadybear

Post by Dadybear »

Raych wrote:I can’t believe how close the test is, the week before should we slow down on the revision as not to burn out
Now is the most critical period for dc's

They should know all the work covered & should be working on their speed & timing this is the most important aspect of the test

10 min tests are ideal to work on speed see the areas they are weak on & focus on them

Also get them going on exam techniques if they can't answer a question get them to leave do rest & come back if possible

Also don't stress yourself or them out & no more than an hour a day

Enjoy the holidays all the best for your dc's
Raych

Post by Raych »

How many children actually sit the exam each year is there a limit
crazycrofter

Post by crazycrofter »

There's no limit. I seem to recall it was about 5,500.
Raych

Post by Raych »

crazycrofter wrote:There's no limit. I seem to recall it was about 5,500.
OMG
Caveman47

Post by Caveman47 »

Raych wrote:I can’t believe how close the test is, the week before should we slow down on the revision as not to burn out
I would agree with things that have already been said.

The six weeks holiday proved to be the most important time for my son. He got tired near the end of the six weeks and so I made the decision to break for a week and then just did the mock papers.

The final week before the 11plus went very quickly. All we did that week was absolutely nothing.
Very important not to put too much pressure on them because the 11plus will probably do that anyway.

All the best.
PoppyPup

Post by PoppyPup »

Hi All,

How are we all doing with only a few weeks left to the exam.

Were working on speed as that’s my dd biggest issue. Can’t believe how quickly this has come around.

Were working on timed test but still having issues completing Maths in the time limit.

Hope everyone’s is good and enjoying the sunshine too.