St Olave’s how it works

Eleven Plus (11+) in Bexley and Bromley

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Qusay02

St Olave’s how it works

Post by Qusay02 »

Hi;
We had induction day at st Olave’s las evening. I just started panicking; I don’t know if it is something very new to us or because of many information which we had been given?
Can anyone help by sharing experience of it works there? Is it easy for kids to settle within the new class or does it take a while?
kenyancowgirl

Re: St Olave’s how it works

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Induction days or paretns information days before you start, or standard's evenings just after you start, do tend to make people feel a bit "rabbit in headlights"!! Don't panic!

Schools have to hand over a huge amount of information to a lot of people in one go so there is far too much to try and truly assimilate. Secondary schools are physically larger than most primaries so you will never know all the rooms straight away but people will point you and your child in the right direction - remember they do this process every year! Hopefully you were given - or will be given - some sort of pack of the information that you can read at home and will make more sense when you can sit and look at it quietly?

Year 7s tend to be shepherded around for the first week or so - and remember every single child is in the same boat so remind your son of this - tell him to be brave in striking up conversations with people - to look for children who look nervous and be a friendly face. He will settle. Some take longer than others - if he is unsettled by half term I would speak to the pastoral team but I suspect after a few weeks, and generally getting over the exhaustion, he will be fine.
Crescent26

Post by Crescent26 »

Hi there - I have a son in Y9 at St Olaves, and I can't claim to know how it all works, I remember what a steep learning curve it seemed (he is my eldest of 3 - seemed much easier when DD1 started at Newstead this year!).

Has your son had his induction yet? My DS was the only boy from his school to go to St O, and he loved it. They do a good job at settling them in, the boys tend to set up class whatsapp groups after they swap numbers that day. I know whatsapp is a contentious issue, but it has been invaluable for them swapping info on homework, dates for tests, missed notes etc. They also tend to make good 'train' or 'bus' friends depending on who they commute with.

If you have any specific questions, don't hesitate to pm me, happy to help. Good luck to your DS.
Qusay02

Post by Qusay02 »

Thank you very much for your help. I do appreciate it it
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now