How to keep a language going

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Moon unit

How to keep a language going

Post by Moon unit »

My DS won’t be taking French A level.
He plans in the future to hopefully work in France possibly for a year after A levels.
Any suggestions on how to keep his French going?
KB

Re: How to keep a language going

Post by KB »

Local colleges for conversational evening classes?
Local language schools taking French speaking children who need casual staff?
Skype calls with French 'pen friend'?
School trips?
Helping at afterschool French club in primary school or lower secondary?
French language TV/ films etc?

More formally, there are several experts in the forum who will be able to advise on the best online courses. Or he could just try some of the free resources and see how he gets on with them?

I'm guessing the best way is to spend as much time as possible in a French speaking country - lots of holidays required :)
Amber

Post by Amber »

I think he will have enough to do studying for the A levels he is doing without doing extra stuff to 'keep his French going'. For my own part, I have learned several languages over the years and find that when I revisit them, they come flooding back. If he is planning to work in France he will soon pick it up again. And without being insulting, there isn' that much to 'keep going' anyway after GCSE, which barely equips you to spend one day abroad - it is unlikely he will retain that much of it as there isn' that much to start with, but he will have the basics to build on when he goes there to work, if he does.

It is also never too late. My daughter has added a language to her non-language degree at university (she did not plan to do this ahead, it was something she did after she arrived and she has now done 2 years of it); and I learned a new language in my mid-20s and am still reasonably fluent.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

I agree. I did four years of French at school (12-16) and when I need to use it, a lot comes back, even though that's 30 years ago and I've barely used it since. I did just two years of German at GCSE and I couldn't get by for a day in that language now. In fact wherever I go overseas, although I try and learn a few basic phrases to get me by, it's the French that always comes to mind. I was in Austria a few years ago and at the railway station could I remember any German? No, but I could easily recall everything about billet de deuxième classe, composter votre billet , etc. I could have quite easily sorted out my journey and tickets in French. I can only conclude that the extra two years and good teaching have embedded it in the back of my brain somewhere far better than the German ever stuck.
Moon unit

Post by Moon unit »

Thanks very much that’s very helpful.
mad?

Post by mad? »

I agree with other posters, there is nothing like a week in country having to speak the language to keep things current. But also I would not be too worried, DD2 did Spanish in year 9 and then dropped it, barely able to speak a word as far as I could tell. She has not appeared to be a natural linguist but having just returned from 5 months in South America can now confidently converse with (and appears to be understood by) her Spanish speaking friends, albeit that she has a bizarre accent. There is no substitute for 'having' to speak the language.
mad?