Date Clash

Eleven Plus (11+) in Kent

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Taraific

Date Clash

Post by Taraific »

Hi,

I have just noticed the Mayfield Procedure and the Kent (Out of County) Test are set for the same date - Saturday 8th September. What are the chances of me being able to request a date change? I'm aware the Mayfield Procedure isn't compulsory and their website suggests there will be no alternative date. Should I be considering withdrawal from the test?

Advice appreciated! Thank you.
doodles

Re: Date Clash

Post by doodles »

I suggest you start here

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... e-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives you information about alternative dates but they appear to be for illness and late arrivals in the county.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

doodles wrote:I suggest you start here

https://www.kent.gov.uk/__data/assets/p ... e-2019.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

It gives you information about alternative dates but they appear to be for illness and late arrivals in the county.
Thank you for your reply. At a quick glance it looks as though the alternative date for Kent is January 2019 (!) Not sure how that would impact the admissions process, considering you make your choices back in October? I will have a re-read later this evening, once home from work. Who do you think I would be better off asking for an alternative date, KCC or Mayfield?
mystery

Post by mystery »

What is Mayfield? Is it that Kent grammar school with an additional procedure one can use if pass the Mayfield test and not the Kent test?

It's crazy isn't it. Presumably, they don't want out of county pupils? How do you stand in their admissions policy as an out of county candidate from your particular home address if your daughter does pass the Kent test or Mayfield procedure?

I think I would be asking both Kent and Mayfield if you can have a different date due to the clash. I presume Mayfield has chosen to clash unless they're just a bit dozy.

And what are your chances of getting in to a Kent grammar as an out of county candidate through the standard Kent test?

Then I'd weigh up the choices if an alternative date is not offered by either Kent or Mayfield.

As you say, January is not a great alternative date for Kent, even if it is in time for 1 March allocations, as you have so many more unknowns when you fill in the CAF. But worth finding out what the implicatins are of the January date.

I would email Kent admissions rather than phoning. You're likely to get a correct, written answer that way.
Last edited by mystery on Thu Jul 05, 2018 2:15 pm, edited 2 times in total.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Since the Kent Test potentially gives access to several schools, including Mayfield and the Mayfield one only potentially gives access to that one school, I'm not really sure that it's worth making an issue of it?

Presumably Mayfield is your first preference grammar school, even though - also making assumptions here - your DD would fall under criterion 5?
mystery wrote:What is Mayfield?
Girls' grammar in Gravesend

http://www.mgsg.kent.sch.uk/Admissions
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
doodles

Post by doodles »

The January date is for those who have moved into the county or who can provide evidence of illness on the test date. You really need to read the document very carefully yourself and then make the decision which is best for your dd.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

Thanks everyone for the replies. Will try and answer as many of the questions as I can - if I miss yours, let me know.

Yes, Mayfield is our first choice. Mainly because it is our nearest Grammar. My original post did suggest we were applying out of county but We should fall under Criterion 3 (postcode DA10) however DD currently attends a primary out of county. So would not be eligible for the 'in county' date which is sat at their (kent) schools.

Presuming that neither are willing to change the date. I will of course opt for the Kent test instead of the Mayfield - as suggested, it does open the playing field more.

Just found it a bit odd that Mayfield is a Kent school, so must be aware of the date for the main test but have chosen the same day? Is it a possibility that they are unaware of the clash? Or are they making it as difficult as possible for the out of county candidates?
Last edited by Taraific on Thu Jul 05, 2018 5:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

mystery wrote: And what are your chances of getting in to a Kent grammar as an out of county candidate through the standard Kent test?.
I'm not sure where abouts you are. But round here the schools recommend you take the Bexley and Kent Tests as we border both sides. DD's teacher actually suggested the Kent test was "easier" then the Bexley(!).
mystery

Post by mystery »

I think it is really poor running their test on the Kent test Saturday as it is supposed to be an additional procedure for those who have done the Kent test. If they're doing it to cause difficulty for OOC candidates then that is rather mean, but not only that, they are making it impossible for children who live in Kent but do not attend a school that runs the Kent test (like yours for example, or a home-schooled child) to sit their additional procedure. Legally, they can do whatever they like I am sure, but it doesn't look good and for me, it's an unfair use of what is, at the end of the day, public money.
Taraific

Post by Taraific »

So i thought i would update you on what the outcome of the clash was. :?
I left alone and thought I would bring it up with both KCC and Mayfield once I received a formal confirmation that the date did indeed clash. However, before I even had the chance, I received this from Mayfield:

Dear XXXXXXXXXXX,

We have received your registration form completed for the Mayfield Tests. We note that your daughter is not attending a Kent Local Authority School. The Mayfield Tests are held on the same day, Saturday 8th September, as the Kent tests for pupils not being tested in their Primary School. This means your daughter will be unable to sit the Mayfield Tests as well on that day and there will be no late testing available. (Please see the procedure available on our website).

The Kent tests will allow your daughter to be considered for a Kent Grammar School including Mayfield Grammar School, Gravesend and it is a requirement for entry to this school that the Kent tests have been sat. The Mayfield Tests are an additional optional opportunity only. Your daughter will therefore not be registered for the Mayfield Tests.

Your Sincerely,

Admissions Officer.

So there you have it :roll:
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now