Courses in clearing

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Guest55

Courses in clearing

Post by Guest55 »

Good news of your DS/DD is worried they have dropped a grade from their offer.

There are over 30 000 degree courses already listed in clearing according to UCAS: https://digital.ucas.com/search/results ... hbarbutton" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

The link will be updated regularly ...
bondgirl

Re: Courses in clearing

Post by bondgirl »

Thank you for sharing this G55. DD is awaiting IB results tomorrow - her insurance course is in clearing by the looks of it, as are two others that she applied for. Looks very promising if she has missed by a point or two. I assume you just ring the university you’re interested in, if it’s in clearing?
Amber

Post by Amber »

Alternatively, if your son or daughter does not get their first choice, consider steering them away from clearing and towards a year working or doing resits in order to access what they actually wanted to do in the first place, or taking a reasoned and realistic decision based on the new situation, rather than taking something on the back foot which will cost them thousands of pounds and not be suitable. The desire on results day to say you are going somewhere like 'everybody else' needs to be balanced against the next 3-4 years living somewhere you hadn't considered, doing a course you hadn't been keen on before, and racking up masses of debt.

Sorry, this is a controversial view which won't win me any friends on here but I am very sceptical about clearing. Students spend ages deciding on first and insurance offers and reject others for a reason so taking something just in order to go somewhere, anywhere, is in many cases a really bad idea. OK I know there are success stories and I know some personal ones, but a year isn't long when you are 18 and could be very well spent. The dropout rates are getting higher each year, and surely going somewhere you hadn't considered before, on the back of a decision taken in the heat of the (sad and traumatic) moment, is going to be a lot riskier than waiting to see what else you could do.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Amber, yes I agree that clearing is not often a good option.

I only posted this to reassure people over the places on the courses they currently hold offers for.

You may not get an answer re IB until A level results are out.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

we (& kids) felt that clearing was never going to be the best thing to do . So booked hols for the day after the results came out with the aim of a) celebrating or b) going away to have a think about things and definitely not rushing into a uni place.
bondgirl

Post by bondgirl »

Guest55 wrote:Amber, yes I agree that clearing is not often a good option.

I only posted this to reassure people over the places on the courses they currently hold offers for.

You may not get an answer re IB until A level results are out.
Presumably, now that universities know this year’s IB results, they have an idea of how many IB students will be taking up places and how many firms/insurance offers to A level students there are per course to enable them to advertise clearing places. When I looked more closely at the courses in clearing, 4 of the 5 DD had offers for are there! :shock:
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

IB numbers are tiny compared to A level - a few more courses might appear but they have to be sure they do not overfill courses - I think they still get fined if they do!
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

I see that even Medicine is in clearing at Anglia Ruskin :lol:
Loopy
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Loopyloulou wrote:I see that even Medicine is in clearing at Anglia Ruskin :lol:
:lol: not any terribly registerable medical courses though
Loopyloulou

Post by Loopyloulou »

5 year MB ChB appears on Anglia Ruskin's clearing list, I suspect it is registerable? (Though I agree that it shouldn't be!).
Loopy