NLC scrapping 11+?

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Amber

Re: NLC scrapping 11+?

Post by Amber »

JessieDee wrote:There are parents out there happily paying £70/hr or more for tutoring
Daogroupie wrote:Actually there are tutors charging £180 per hour for certain schools
OK so I think I may rent a place in London and offer tutoring. I get paid a tiny fraction of this to tutor masters students at a top London university. I am a fully qualified and experienced teacher and have worked with all age groups from Reception to Sixth form. I think I could get a rather nice apartment, somewhere with a view and an onsite gym, on the back of 11+ tutoring! As it is I spend all my money on staying in a pretty grotty hotel when I come to London for work.

Is this for real?! :shock:
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Amber wrote:
JessieDee wrote:There are parents out there happily paying £70/hr or more for tutoring
Daogroupie wrote:Actually there are tutors charging £180 per hour for certain schools
OK so I think I may rent a place in London and offer tutoring. I get paid a tiny fraction of this to tutor masters students at a top London university. I am a fully qualified and experienced teacher and have worked with all age groups from Reception to Sixth form. I think I could get a rather nice apartment, somewhere with a view and an onsite gym, on the back of 11+ tutoring! As it is I spend all my money on staying in a pretty grotty hotel when I come to London for work.

Is this for real?! :shock:
Apparently :shock:

I always hope that the DC of the kind of parent who will go to these lengths in their attempt to buy privilege would actually easily have got in on their own abilities anyway. Although this is tempered by a distaste for lining the pockets of the people who charge this kind of money for their services.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
piggys

Post by piggys »

ToadMum wrote:I Although this is tempered by a distaste for lining the pockets of the people who charge this kind of money for their services.
There is no shortage of such types 'round the leafy burbs of the LB of Barnet, for sure. People pay mad money, well over £100 per hour sometimes. What do you suppose these super tutors actually do in that 60 minutes of educational nirvana? I do wonder sometimes. Perhaps one of the super tutors, or indeed a parent of someone who benefitted from a super tutor's sheer brilliance could let us know.
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote:
ToadMum wrote:I Although this is tempered by a distaste for lining the pockets of the people who charge this kind of money for their services.
There is no shortage of such types 'round the leafy burbs of the LB of Barnet, for sure. People pay mad money, well over £100 per hour sometimes. What do you suppose these super tutors actually do in that 60 minutes of educational nirvana? I do wonder sometimes. Perhaps one of the super tutors, or indeed a parent of someone who benefitted from a super tutor's sheer brilliance could let us know.
A couple of years ago, in a post entirely motivated by league table positions, I was paid £25 per hour to work in a state school to try and get children over the D/C boundary and the B/A boundary in their GCSEs. I had 10 hours to do this, per child. In most cases, I managed it, or rather, the children managed it. My feeling at the time, as only I know what I was actually doing in those lessons, is that it barely mattered what I did, what mattered was giving some 1-1 attention to these young people and hearing their stories. However, it was some of the hardest work I have ever done.

I agree, Piggys, that someone who has been rewarded to the tune of £100/hour for getting 'rich but dim' children who would otherwise have been left to rot in some awful 'sink' school on account of their hopeless stupidity, into prestigious schools, probably has great secrets to share, and ought to be writing guide books for the rest of us to learn from. Because for the life of me I cannot see how anything you can humanly do with a ten-year old could be worth that amount.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

The husband of a local prep school Head charges parents one hundred pounds an hour to sit and discuss a book with a student.

The school of course recommends him and then the parents have to buy the book he chooses for their student, the student reads it and then meets with him and they sit and chat about the book.

Apparently he sits in an armchair with a drink and chats to them. Apparently they do most of the talking and he just nods and adds the odd question here and there.

As these are prep parents who are already paying school fees for classes, perhaps a hundred pounds an hour for one to one attention seems reasonable. DG
piggys

Post by piggys »

Daogroupie wrote:The husband of a local prep school Head charges parents one hundred pounds an hour to sit and discuss a book with a student.

The school of course recommends him and then the parents have to buy the book he chooses for their student, the student reads it and then meets with him and they sit and chat about the book.

Apparently he sits in an armchair with a drink and chats to them. Apparently they do most of the talking and he just nods and adds the odd question here and there.

As these are prep parents who are already paying school fees for classes, perhaps a hundred pounds an hour for one to one attention seems reasonable. DG
See, I'd do that for free if it was a decent book. :wink: But I guess I'm just a sucker for inspiring literature. Your post proves that some people really are rich and thick. :lol:
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote:See, I'd do that for free if it was a decent book. :wink: But I guess I'm just a sucker for inspiring literature. Your post proves that some people really are rich and thick. :lol:
Amber Pig Tutoring. £100/hour with our two highly qualified and experienced teachers. Plus travel costs obvs. What do you reckon?

(Sorry OT but you have to admit it has a certain ring to it).
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

Daogroupie wrote:The husband of a local prep school Head charges parents one hundred pounds an hour to sit and discuss a book with a student.

Surely that is bordering on fraud if the Head does not declare a significant interest? Very poor practice - shoddy in fact, in my opinion....I wonder if the Governors are aware the "school" is recommending him and whether they consider that as part of her renumeration package....
piggys

Post by piggys »

Amber wrote:
piggys wrote:See, I'd do that for free if it was a decent book. :wink: But I guess I'm just a sucker for inspiring literature. Your post proves that some people really are rich and thick. :lol:
Amber Pig Tutoring. £100/hour with our two highly qualified and experienced teachers. Plus travel costs obvs. What do you reckon?

(Sorry OT but you have to admit it has a certain ring to it).
I think we are selling ourselves a little short actually. I say £300 per hour plus food, drink and a few tips thrown in as well. My dh works in the private sector (not education) and has mentioned a few times this thing called a bonus? I believe it is a Latin word. Al these years in the public sector and yet I have never come across one myself. :lol:

I will recline on my Chandler/Joey lay-z-boy and hold court on Steinbeck, the Gothic genre, Modern Poetry and American Literature (all specialities of mine). You can do all the Foreign stuff Amber.
Amber

Post by Amber »

piggys wrote:I think we are selling ourselves a little short actually. I say £300 per hour plus food, drink and a few tips thrown in as well. My dh works in the private sector (not education) and has mentioned a few times this thing called a bonus? I believe it is a Latin word. Al these years in the public sector and yet I have never come across one myself. :lol:

I will recline on my Chandler/Joey lay-z-boy and hold court on Steinbeck, the Gothic genre, Modern Poetry and American Literature (all specialities of mine). You can do all the Foreign stuff Amber.
I am liking this. Not sure how much foreign literature is taught in schools these days but I reckon I could do oral practice in most of the languages which are, especially if, like the Head in DG's story, I am not actually required to open my mouth much (apart from to sip the tipple of my choice and nibble on the odd olive).

Nod to mods - yes I know we are OT. Sorry. :oops: