DAO exams Sep 18

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
ale21279

DAO exams Sep 18

Post by ale21279 »

Received my letters with timings today, all getting a bit real and scary now! :shock:
Trakka

Re: DAO exams Sep 18

Post by Trakka »

Was this by post?

I agree, it is getting awfully close!
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

6.5 weeks.

Still enough time to make a difference.

Best wishes to all those sitting on 1st and 3rd Sept. DG
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

Admissions lady said at open day today that 1150 have applied for the exams.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

825 of these applicants will not go through to the second round as there are only 325 places in the second round.

What did parents think of the speeches this year? DG
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

We attended the DAO Open Day yesterday and found the whole arrangement to be a bit chaotic compared to how smooth things were at QE boys.

The Heads speech didnt impress much this bit the one she gave in October open day last year was really good.

I'd be interested to know how the others felt too.
Thank you,

Worrybot
Trakka

Post by Trakka »

I've not been to a QE open day as only have DDs so I can't compare but we thought yesterday was relaxed and very welcoming and friendly. My DD and I did a tour last year so we decided (DH joined this year) just to wander around ourselves. Much better! Most classrooms we visited we managed to avoid the tours and therefore were able to talk to the teachers and students easily. Maybe that is why we didn't find it chaotic?

Attended the Headteacher's speech last year so avoided the hot hall to hear it again this year.

Will be going to an October open day.
ale21279

Post by ale21279 »

The Head's speech certainly had a lot of emphasis on "is this the right school for your child?", "unashamedly academic, not vocational", limited SEN support etc.
It's still our first choice. We love the grounds and facilities - concert hall, science labs, sports pitches, cricket field, lake.
My DS enjoyed a game with a Spanish teacher and the dissecting in Biology.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

I think the DAO open day always feels fairly relaxed rather than chaotic. I've never been to QE but I've been to others which were definitely more structured/regimented. It's probably personal preference as to which you feel more comfortable with.
I was there yesterday. I definitely think the building work didn't help because normally there's a lot more space to move around in but obviously at the moment that's very tight in the central area. By September 2019 the old block will be gone so the school will be back to having all the outdoor space again around the buildings.
worrybot

Post by worrybot »

DAO is still remains our top choice. DS enjoyed looking at Maths, Design & Technology and was awestruck with Science department. He loved all the experiments in all 3 Science departments and to my surprise was very keen in the dissection section as he wasn't too interested in this at other schools.

He is not very sporty or in music but he loved the vast open grounds.

I agree may be the building work didn't help either.

All other schools we have been to so far were very regimented and structured. We reached the school at 2.25 just a few minutes before the first speech was due to begin and therefore may be feeling it to be chaotic and everyone was being rushed into the very hot hall.

It was my second visit to the School and there will be more in future as DS is just finishing year 4.
Thank you,

Worrybot
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now