World Cup 2018

Discussion of all things non-11 Plus related

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Surferfish

World Cup 2018

Post by Surferfish »

Rather surprised there's no thread started on this yet, but better late than never! :D

Could it really be coming home? How's everyone feeling about the match this evening? Excited, a bag of nerves or couldn't care less?
Guest55

Re: World Cup 2018

Post by Guest55 »

Yawn :lol:

I only follow cricket :)

Football is no longer a sport imho.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

yay - only watch footy once every four years and yes I am quite excited about.

I did watch the 1966 final and we know the result then however I didn't watch the 1990 semi when England were beaten by W Germany 4-3 on penalties as I was out for the evening and there was no TV there.

So clearly I must bring them some luck :wink:

PS cricket isn't the same since they started wearing funny colours / playing under lights and all the mad razamatazz.
BucksBornNBred

Post by BucksBornNBred »

What football?
mike1880

Post by mike1880 »

Guest55 wrote:Football is no longer a sport imho.
Cricket never has been (game, yes; sport - :lol: what, you mean like darts?) and if you think it's somehow less money-grubbing and profit-fixated than football you've been on a different planet than the rest of us for the last 41 years.

Anyway: no, probably not coming home, sadly given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity this series has thrown at them. One can but hope. I like this team, they remind me of the team that got similarly close in Italia '90 (in spirit - I don't think they're anywhere close to them in ability). I didn't watch the last two World Cups because it was just too painful and embarrassing to watch the arrogant, entitled mediocrities we sent but I've seen quite a lot of this one.
Amber

Post by Amber »

I have spent the whole of my life so far hearing about 1966 every time an English player kicks a ball beyond the first round of any international tournament.
The thought that I may now have to spend the rest of it hearing about 2018 is driving me to accelerate my Brexit emigration plans.

Too hot to watch telly even if I was interested. We had a lovely family walk last night and everywhere was deserted.
quasimodo

Post by quasimodo »

I had thought of opening a thread on the subject but wasn't sure how enthusiastically it would be taken.We have watched the majority of games ( been working from home supposedly ) including all the England ones some in Public houses and the quarter final at the same time as a wedding reception in Scotland.The hundred or so of us all from different parts of England went into a bar in this Hilton hotel and watched it to the chagrin of the brides father.My childhood friend whose daughter had got married ended up putting the football up on a big screen in the wedding reception but without the sound.

The excitement has been building throughout the last three weeks.What a great summer with the weather and endless football.I have forgotten Wimbledon has been on and hardly watched and already into the second week.

Its been nice to see Gareth Southgate come of age having watched him over many years as a season ticket holder at the Villa unable for work reasons to get to my first love Anfield on a regular basis.Having been at some of England's games in the past crashing out of tournaments it has been a cathartic tournament thus far.

I hope the dream can continue and become reality.
In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years.

Abraham Lincoln
Surferfish

Post by Surferfish »

Amber wrote:We had a lovely family walk last night and everywhere was deserted.
If last night was deserted for France vs Belgium, I dread to think what tonight will be like anywhere in England not in the vicinity of a TV set. Devoid of all human life forms I would imagine!
mike1880 wrote:Anyway: no, probably not coming home, sadly given the once-in-a-lifetime opportunity this series has thrown at them. One can but hope. I like this team, they remind me of the team that got similarly close in Italia '90 (in spirit - I don't think they're anywhere close to them in ability). I didn't watch the last two World Cups because it was just too painful and embarrassing to watch the arrogant, entitled mediocrities we sent but I've seen quite a lot of this one.
Yes I agree its a likeable young team, and in particular Southgate seems to be very pleasant and intelligent. I think they have a decent 50/50 chance against Croatia tonight if they play their best although France will still probably win the whole thing. Would be great if they could get to the final at least. Hoping tonight is similar to the Sweden game. I don't think my nerves and blood pressure could handle a repeat of the Columbia match!

Overall I think its been the best World Cup for many a year, with some great matches, big upsets and no fan trouble to speak of (touch wood), so credit where its due to the Russians for putting on a great tournament.
Reading Mum

Post by Reading Mum »

DD's school concert moved to earlier slot of 5pm so there will be virtually no audience :(

Not a football fan so I'll be glad when it is all over. I will be pleased for them if they win but that is about it.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

mike1880 wrote:Cricket never has been (game, yes; sport - :lol: what, you mean like darts?) and if you think it's somehow less money-grubbing and profit-fixated than football you've been on a different planet than the rest of us for the last 41 years.
I'm talking about proper cricket - the 4 day stuff - players do not earn £50 000 a week, even the great players like Alastair Cook. Most of the counties struggle to keep afloat - the money is completely different magnitude from football. What club spends £60 million on one player - now that is crazy.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now