SATS 2018 - scaled scores

Key Stages 1-2 and SATs advice

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
Hera

SATS 2018 - scaled scores

Post by Hera »

I can't find anything that states what scaled score is required to get "exceeded standard." Even with a scaled score of 120 it states "achieved standard" on an individual child's report. But on the national and school percentage outcomes there is a column for "achieved standard" and "exceeded standard" so there must be a score somewhere between 100 and 120 where that happens?
yoyo123

Re: SATS 2018 - scaled scores

Post by yoyo123 »

From what I understand 100 is achieved standard , below 100 not achieved, over 100 greater understanding of the subject.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I haven't seen this confirmed but in the past 110 was considered exceeding.

Here is a link to the conversion table if anyone is interested: https://www.gov.uk/government/publicati ... ion-tables" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
mitasol

Post by mitasol »

Just confirmation of what yoyo already said.

https://www.gov.uk/guidance/scaled-scor ... aled-score" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
A scaled score of 100 will always represent the expected standard on the test. Pupils scoring at least 100 will have met the expected standard on the test. However, given that the difficulty of the tests may vary each year, the number of raw score marks needed to achieve a scaled score of 100 may also change. For example, if the overall difficulty of a test decreases compared to previous years, the raw score required to meet the expected standard will increase. Similarly, if the test is more difficult, the raw score required to meet the expected standard will decrease.
Hera

Post by Hera »

The comparative report we have be given shows for example in reading the following national scores as percentages for 2018. 3 working below the level of the test, 25 not achieved standard, 72 achieved standard and 25 exceeded standard. The 72 per cent can't have all got a scaled score of 100 (apart from the ones that exceeded within that figure) and the 25 per cent of those that have exceeded can't all have got between 101 and 120. That is where I am confused. I have heard the figure of 110 that Guest 55 mentioned bandied around but it isn't published on the standards and testing website. So where are those percentages derived from?
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Hi,

Sorry I have no idea how to add a link of a photo here so I'll just type in the info we were given from my DSs school a few months before SATs

Higher Attaining Pupils

*There are no separate tests fot thr higher attaining children.

*Instead, each test has the scope for higher attaining pupls to show their strengths.

*To achieve this pupils will need to achieve a scaled score of 110 and above.

From what I can see from the 2018 scaled scores conversion charts
English Reading - Raw score of 40/50 =110 scaled score
Mathamatics - Raw score of 96/110 = 110 scaled score
SPAG - Raw score of 56/70= 110 scaled score
I have no idea about writing as that is teacher marked

Also the published data on the .GOV site for higher achievers lumps Maths/Reading/Writing all together, so I assume each child must get the higher levels in all of those subjects for it be count on the league tables?

Has anyone's DC been given their results yet? DS was told verbally but no letter yet.
Hera

Post by Hera »

Thank you that is helpful. We received ours yesterday and were given raw scores, scaled scores and teacher assessments. Even for a scaled score of 120 it says achieved standard.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Just realised that if you click on the little question mark on the .Gov School League Table/Performance Website heading marked "% of pupils achieving at a higher level" it explains what is needed for the higher level!

Copied and pasted from the official Goverment League tables/School performance website

% of pupils achieving at a higher standard
Pupils are achieving at a higher standard if they achieve a scaled score of 110 or more in their reading and maths tests, and their teacher assesses them as ‘working at a greater depth within the expected standard’ in writing. We set this standard for the first time in 2016 to provide information about pupils across England achieving in the top 5%. For a more detailed explanation, see Scaled scores at key stage 2, Key stage 2 teacher assessment and Primary school accountability.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Hera,

If your DC has a scaled score of 110 or over they have achieved the higher level

DS was verbally given his raw score for Maths and his banding at his school (Working Below/Developing/Secure/Mastery/Enriching, can also have a + added to each of them) but only given the school banding for Reading/SPAG/Writing, so no raw score/scaled score as yet.

Guess I will just have to be patient and wait for the letter!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

I have not seen the 110 confirmed for THIS year.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now