Bus help from Leamington to SGGS please?

Eleven Plus (11+) in Warwickshire

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
firsttime

Bus help from Leamington to SGGS please?

Post by firsttime »

Hi. I'm trying to work out travel arrangements for September - I don't know anyone to ask in real life!

From what I can make out on the WCC website, there is a school bus 289 which goes from the Parade, but I see many girls in uniform getting on a public Stagecoach bus (eg 16a) just after half seven.

Do any existing parents have any advice please - what do your girls do?

And/or anyone have a new year 7 in the same situation?

Varsha2017

Re: Bus help from Leamington to SGGS please?

Post by Varsha2017 »

firsttime wrote:Hi. I'm trying to work out travel arrangements for September - I don't know anyone to ask in real life!

From what I can make out on the WCC website, there is a school bus 289 which goes from the Parade, but I see many girls in uniform getting on a public Stagecoach bus (eg 16a) just after half seven.

Do any existing parents have any advice please - what do your girls do?

And/or anyone have a new year 7 in the same situation?

My son would be going to KES this September. 4th July Induction day helped us get some insight. Stagecoach 16A has good frequency and I believe is used lot by both KES boys and SGGS girls. Parish Church is from where we took ours (7:14, 7:44 and there is another quickly following 7:44 time).
If Vacant seats scheme turns down our request we will be using same.
kenyancowgirl

Post by kenyancowgirl »

OP if you are buying a bus pass, the public buses usually offer more flexibility than school buses in that you are not limited to one particular bus in the morning and one in the evening. Ours is a school bus (although we are still the year that gets a free bus pass) and I have to pick up after after school clubs about 3 times a week as they cannot use the pass on any other bus.
Dremma

Post by Dremma »

Hi - We have applied for the 210 school bus via WCC ( called the vacant bus scheme) but the deadline for applications is tomorrow and it’s on a first come first served basis. I think the stagecoach bus from the Parade may be your best option as mentioned previously as more flexibility.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Unless the dedicated school bus service was free or at least significantly cheaper than a public one on the same route, I can't for the life of me understand why anyone wouldn't opt for the public option :) .
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Milkfloat

Post by Milkfloat »

Public buses include the 16A and X18 from the parade, the 16A takes them to Stratford College and then they can walk across the field. My daughter used the 16A from Myton Road for induction a couple of weeks ago. She survived. You can buy a pass from the Stagecoach office in town, but when I asked they said that would not be ready until later August with the new prices.
firsttime

Post by firsttime »

Very helpful, thanks everyone.
Bluecat

Post by Bluecat »

Hi,

My daughter starts at SGGS in September and will be travelling on the stagecoach public bus from Leamington. She has brothers at KES and there are 3 buses in the morning and 2 after school, so lots of students doing the same thing. We will have a little trial run in the summers holidays though! You can buy a pass from the stagecoach shop in Leamington from August onwards.
Varsha2017

Post by Varsha2017 »

Bluecat wrote:Hi,

My daughter starts at SGGS in September and will be travelling on the stagecoach public bus from Leamington. She has brothers at KES and there are 3 buses in the morning and 2 after school, so lots of students doing the same thing. We will have a little trial run in the summers holidays though! You can buy a pass from the stagecoach shop in Leamington from August onwards.

Yesterday I enquired about term wise amounts from Leamington Stagecoach office and was surprised to find them to be more pricey than Council bus term rates. Basically I was told: -
Stagecoach Bus - LSpa, Parish Church to Stratford-upon-Avon
TERM 1 - £342
TERM 2 - £302
TERM 3 - £257 which totals up as £901 and much more pricey than £260 per term for Council Bus.

I have received mail on last Friday (27/07) from Warwickshire transport under Vacant Seats scheme for seat payment.

Unless I am missing something I find this otherwise of what was mentioned earlier i.e. Public bus being less pricey (its more flexible no Qs. on that though).
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

What do they cover - just the one route and one journey each way per school day (I would assume this for the WCC one?), or any route and / or as many journeys as you like between the first and last days of validity of the season ticket?
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx