Languages at DAO

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

laval53

Languages at DAO

Post by laval53 »

Does anyone know which language(s) a year 7 student would start learning as of September 2019, and how this would carry on into years 8 and 9? I have looked at their website and it seems that the school does not require them to study two languages at GCSE anymore. However, the information for languages at Key Stage 3 is somewhat unclear as it says that the school chooses which language the students study, then further on states that they all study two languages from year 7.
loobylou

Re: Languages at DAO

Post by loobylou »

I believe that all students learn 2 languages from year 7 as of this last year (prior to that they picked up their second in year 8).
In 2019 I think Spanish is the first language (it goes on a three year cycle) so everyone will learn that then half the year will also do German and half French.
That's my understanding anyway.
Last edited by loobylou on Sat Jul 14, 2018 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

Sorry I'm going to edit the post above. I got confused between my two children and where in the three year cycle we were.
laval53

Post by laval53 »

Thanks for your reply. Do you have a say as a parent about which language they study as a second language? Or does it depend on which half of the year they're in?
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

If things haven't changed, you are sent a form before starting and you get to state a preference.
It seems as though you are more likely to get your choice if you already know some of the language already.
Our children filled in their forms themselves and gave their own reasons for why they wanted to learn particular languages. They both got their preference.
Daogroupie

Post by Daogroupie »

I have never known any student who did not get their first choice. DG
loobylou

Post by loobylou »

There were a few in dd's year who wanted Spanish and didn't get it.
I don't know about ds's year.
Spanish seems to be more popular than German though.
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now