Staines to Langley Grammar

Eleven Plus (11+) in Berkshire (Berks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
vinkhub

Staines to Langley Grammar

Post by vinkhub »

Hi,

Just wondering if anyone would be interested in joining in a travel-arrangement from Staines (TW18) to Langley Grammar School?

I can, mostly, drive to school in the mornings but, would need help with afternoon return journey. Feel free to PM me. You would need to fill the consent form with the school as well - https://www.lgs.slough.sch.uk/page/?tit ... ing&pid=94" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

Alternatively, if someone can suggest a taxi-share, that's welcome as well.

Thanks
V
rhiane

Re: Staines to Langley Grammar

Post by rhiane »

Hi

Sorry can't help with the car share as my DC will both be at a different Slough Grammar.
No sure where in Staines you are but there is a bus from Wraysbury which passes close to Langley then on to Upton (gets to Upton around 8am) but it means your DC then has to get from Wraysbury to Staines.

Just thought i'd mention it, in case it helps
vinkhub

Post by vinkhub »

rhiane wrote:Hi

Sorry can't help with the car share as my DC will both be at a different Slough Grammar.
Not sure where in Staines you are but there is a bus from Wraysbury which passes close to Langley then on to Upton (gets to Upton around 8am) but it means your DC then has to get from Wraysbury to Staines.

Many thanks rhiane. That's true it is the Courtney Bus - route 11. We live walkable distance to Staines station and there is a train every half an hour between Wraysbury and Staines. So, definitely, it can be done.

However, that journey is a bit more involved than a door to door by car (20/25 mins :| ). Thanks.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

vinkhub wrote:
rhiane wrote:Hi

Not sure where in Staines you are but there is a bus from Wraysbury which passes close to Langley then on to Upton (gets to Upton around 8am) but it means your DC then has to get from Wraysbury to Staines.

Many thanks rhiane. That's true it is the Courtney Bus - route 11. We live walkable distance to Staines station and there is a train every half an hour between Wraysbury and Staines. So, definitely, it can be done.

However, that journey is a bit more involved than a door to door by car (20/25 mins :| ). Thanks.
Yes I agree, probably only useful if you have car share issues such as last minute sickness etc!
Keep in mind the times for the 11 bus on LGS website are incorrect, the bus now leaves Wraysbury Station at 7.20 ish.

Best of luck
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Just thought it worth jumping in as my partner used to use the Wraysbury bus to Slough. It is the most unreliable bus route. It isn't regular and often doesn't show up at all when it should. Every week he ended up getting a taxi as he was left waiting at Slough bus station for 1.5 hours. We live in Langley now thank goodness. Just thought it worth noting with the buses that it may be wise to try the service first as we have had terrible bus timetabling issues in Slough with First dropping routes with no notice. Until people complained they did recently even drop the bus route to Cippenham, so please have a back up in case. It's settled down now and has improved but that could change again.

Could they not take the train in? I'm sure when I was at that school that most people took the train. There was a big problem with no locals getting in back then and only a handful of people in my class actually lived a walkable commute. I now live right by the school and there are about 3/4 coaches that always block up the roads waiting for children (police were called once where they blocked in an ambulance). It may be worth asking the school what areas they cover. Sorry to appear a grump! I've just had a number of issues with inconsiderate coach drivers.
vinkhub

Post by vinkhub »

Hi KatharineB. Thanks for sharing your experience - I will definitely consider it as a fair warning. The backup plan is that my partner would pick up DS at the local school and then drive to Langley. So, DD would need to wait in the library or some club. As I understand both schools finish around quarter past 3.

A train is not an option (I think) - Langley > Slough > Windsor > Staines. So, 3 changes! Alternatively, there are frequent buses between Langley to Heathrow and Heathrow to Staines but, this would at least take 50-55 mins one way. Driving distance is just over 7 miles.
Kingfisher

Post by Kingfisher »

This was reposted last year by another-dad and was posted originally by scary mum.

Checklist when considering a car share:

• How much do you really know about this parent from a child safeguarding point of view? (Remember, anyone working with children, e.g. bus drivers for the school service, must have a current DBS form.)
• How much do you really know about their driving skills? Have you seen their insurance and car roadworthy details? (Remember that public transport and dedicated school services are required to have these, to a high level.)
• How would you cope if your child fell out with the other children in the car pool, or wanted to do different after school activities, or didn't want to stay after school when the other children were staying late?
• How would you cope if one of the other car pool parents had their car break down, or off the road for some other reason, at short notice?
• What if it's your turn to drive, and you or your child is sick?
• What if the other family turns out to be unreliable, or the driver/their child is regularly late, or ill?
• What if the other child moves to a different school?
• What if one child needs to stay after school for an activity or event?
• What if the driver smokes when driving?
• What if the driver's conversation turns out to be objectionable or age inappropriate?

This is the standard reminder about the risks of car sharing
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

I guess you could take a train to Datchet from Staines but then it's a 2 mile walk and Langley isn't as safe as it used to be. There is the 11 bus still.

Probably the best option I can think off to be honest is to check out Fargo coaches. They have a school coach that goes from Bracknell through Warfield, Ascot, Virginia Water, Englefield Green, Old Windsor and Datchet to drop off at Langley Grammar. It then goes to Upton and St Bernards. Maybe you a fairly near one of those stops, which would also save you having to enter the nightmare that is Langley in the morning. Living by that school, it sometimes takes me 15 minutes just to get out of my road and onto the main London Road at about 8am.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Since the number 11 was taken over by Courtney Buses it is far more reliable!

Courtney Buses Customer Service/Manageement listen and are very receptive to customers suggestions.
There is a dedicated Facebook page (search Replacement No.10 bus) started by locals/customers which Courtney monitor, they recently changed the times of the no11 to accomodate the one Slough Grammar (St B) that finished slightly later, whose pupils couldn't quite get to the stop on time.
I should add that it doesn't work so well for Herschel as it's not so close to the other 3 so DC for that school probably would have to walk from the station?

Both myself and DD know a number of DC from Staines/Wraysbury/Datchet, Staines DC must get to Wraysbury though) who take that bus on a regular bases and it works perfectly both there and back.
My DC will start taking the no11 from September.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

KatharineB wrote:I guess you could take a train to Datchet from Staines but then it's a 2 mile walk and Langley isn't as safe as it used to be. There is the 11 bus still.

Probably the best option I can think off to be honest is to check out Fargo coaches. They have a school coach that goes from Bracknell through Warfield, Ascot, Virginia Water, Englefield Green, Old Windsor and Datchet to drop off at Langley Grammar. It then goes to Upton and St Bernards. Maybe you a fairly near one of those stops, which would also save you having to enter the nightmare that is Langley in the morning. Living by that school, it sometimes takes me 15 minutes just to get out of my road and onto the main London Road at about 8am.
I don't think walking from Datchet to Langley is really an option, walking over 2 miles with what DC have to carry these days, and as you say not the safest of routes.
Fargo, probably wouldn't work, OP would have get to/from Datchet, may as well stick with the 11 bus.
I agree Langley is a nightmare at school times! I made the mistake of coming off the very busy A4 with the hope of taking the back roads, NEVER again!