Life at TGS

Eleven Plus (11+) in Surrey (Sutton, Kingston and Wandsworth)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

sleeplessmum

Life at TGS

Post by sleeplessmum »

Morning all, I first want to say this forum has been fantastic and has really helped me During this process. Our DD has been offered a place at TGS and we are so pleased for her.

We have yet to accept it but I was just wandering if there are any current TGS parents who can shed some light on the below:

Workload....do they ease them into it? Is Year 7 pretty light? I know it is an academic school but the approach for the next few years is so important. Especially dealing with pressure.

What is the Head teacher like?

Are your children happy socially?

We did tutor her for the 11+ but we are the view that she needs to now succeed on her own and if she doesn't understand, need to ask the teachers. Are the teachers approachable?

We did the same for our son who is in a GS and is working for him and the teachers are absolutely brilliant and I can't praise that school enough.

Thank you in advance
tiffinboys

Re: Life at TGS

Post by tiffinboys »

Best if asked such questions before setting preferences in CAF. If the responses are not encouraging, difficult to change school at this stage.

However, I don’t know any one locally who is not happy with their choice of TGS.
sleeplessmum

Post by sleeplessmum »

Thank you tiffinboys. Yes in hindsight that would of been wise. We were all impressed with the site and got a good feeling of the school when we went to open day. When she came out of the exams she wasn't happy, so at the time even though we all loved it we didn't think she would get it. It is just reality settling in and just had a few thoughts... it yes questions before would of been wise
tiffinboys

Post by tiffinboys »

I am sure one of the TGS parents would tell us more about life in TGS; from what I hear, girls there are quite happy, though dinning experience needs improving. Pack lunch is in order. :wink:

Stroller, Peridot, Snowdaddy - where are you all?
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Very relaxed start, no homework for first 2 weeks. There is an offsite day late September (team building / problem solving)

There is no streaming in year 7 (except PE, which is graded by a simple race of 1-2 miles to judge fitness) as assumed to be academically similar

It is up to the girls what clubs (and how many) they join : music, sports, drama, whatever

Obviously as approach GCSEs fewer girls do clubs as more studying and revision, but might be doing other things instead eg Duke of Edinburgh

New Head is a lot more approachable than previous one

There are only 3 areas that are generally considered poor:
One is dining. (They have increased pupil numbers without increasing the kitchen serving lanes so queues are a problem, which prevents eating hot meals before lunchtime clubs start). Dining room wasn't expanded either, so many take packed lunch or skip meals.
Second is teacher retention (it is an area of high housing cost, and many teachers get 2 or 3 years experience then move to another part of the country), but that is common amongst SW London schools, not just TGS. My daughter is now in year 11, over half the teachers listed in front of her year 7 planner, have gone.
Third is poor expansion of site (especially closing wide staircase in atrium, where additional classrooms were built) as it causes excessive numbers to use the stairs in middle when lessons change (virtually impossible to get between certain classrooms and avoid this), this pinchpoint needs widening (only admitted 120 in current year 12, but no taking 180 per year)
sleeplessmum

Post by sleeplessmum »

Thank you so much for your comments- much appreciated.
Sunshine_girls

Post by Sunshine_girls »

My DD started last year(current year 7). We didn't knew anyone from TGS but met new parents via this forum which helped.Also we got contact details of new parents so travel buddies were formed.
The transition to new year was very smooth. First 2 weeks no hw helped focusing the travel part and getting into new routine. As yet homework doesn't seem like burden. Music teacher is fantastic and she really enjoys choir.She always carry packed lunch so cant comment on lunch services.She joined netball club but its not much happening and mostly gets cancelled due to school fixtures. Senior girl runs photography club which she loves going to. Most other clubs are during lunchtime.
Other than Art stationary and food tech haven't been asked to get any materials. Regular test scores gives us an idea of her performance and that she is on track.
Usually her only worry is not to be late for morning registration and can panic if train gets delayed. However if there are severe delays they do waver off the late admission.It has happened only once so far. If has any doubts or concerns regarding homework emails the teacher.Overall DD having happy life at TGS.

Do pm me if any more queries.
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

If you want to know some of the things that go on, always worth looking at the news page, there is a twitter link there.

Currently about a third of Year 11 are on D of E Silver practice, pitched their tents in the snow in Peak District....
Bit more Bear Grylls style life skills than wrapping them in cotton wool

http://www.tiffingirls.org/Our-School/News.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Snowdaddy

Post by Snowdaddy »

Tiffin Girls has revealed the School development plan (see page 6 of first link) as part of their planning application to replace the ROSLA block (an early 1970s building following 1972 Raising Of The School Leaving Age. Site was used by a secondary modern at the time, TGS were then located next door (at the school now occupied by Kingston academy).

https://maps.kingston.gov.uk/PSImageVie ... mage_8.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Planning application link here (ref 18/12596)

https://maps.kingston.gov.uk/propertySe ... No=1812596" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now