SAT scores concern

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Blue_Marigold

SAT scores concern

Post by Blue_Marigold »

I know I shouldn’t compare but after speaking to local friends, it looks like all my DDs friends got SAT scores above 118 for everything. My DD did ok but not greater depth in everything so I am worried she will struggle to keep up with her peers. Please say something to make me feel better.
BlueBerry

Re: SAT scores concern

Post by BlueBerry »

Watching with interest as I'm also concerned with DS's maths score.
KatharineB

Post by KatharineB »

Without wanting to sound negative, I would be careful of what you believe with regards to SATs scores. So many in my DDs school fibbed about their 11+ scores and in some cases apparantly got scores above the possible maximum. Almost all claimed to have got grammar places but in reality by induction that was revealed very much to not be the case. I think there is a lot of pressure among some parents to outdo each other sometimes and it rubs off onto the children. Your child did their best and most secondary schools reassess once the children start there anyway. As long as they get a good balance of work and play and have self belief, they will do as well as is within their ability and be happy rather then stressed. Bring on the fun of the holidays before the hard work begins! :D
Hera

Post by Hera »

According the standards and testing agency the school should provide you with a comparative sheet which will indicate how many children nationally achieved each level and how many children in your school achieved each level, which will put the score your own child has in context. We received that information with our SATS results.
Blue_Marigold

Post by Blue_Marigold »

We just got very vague info from the school about the percentage of people getting as expected or above. There were no figures on greater depth.
rhiane

Post by rhiane »

Hera wrote:According the standards and testing agency the school should provide you with a comparative sheet which will indicate how many children nationally achieved each level and how many children in your school achieved each level, which will put the score your own child has in context. We received that information with our SATS results.
We received this sheet and it was very informative, it included National/School comparative info on all subjects with bar charts.

Higher levels are not mentioned anywhere apart from The Teacher Assessment Results (English Reading. Writing. Maths, Science) I think it's only Writing that is marked at working at greater depth, the others 'I think' are just reported at working at expected standard? Please correct me if i'm wrong!
DSs actual test results just give raw scores/scaled scores for SPAG/Reading/Maths (raw scores are broken down within each subject (eg: Arithmetic/Reasoning Test 1/Reasoning Test 2 etc)

From what i've read recently there is no correlation between SATs scores and Grammar School suitability.
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

You're both worrying unnecessarily and I endorse what KatherineB says. I can't put it any more succinctly than that. :D

As with parents who are concerned about their child's 11+ score relative to others in their grammar school classes, the differences are maginal and in the case of 11+ scores, there is absolutely no evidence of any correlation with future performance at GCSE or A level. In fact, there are plenty of cases where children who arrive at grammar school in year 8 or later achieve at least as well and better than their peers who joined in year 7.
Amber

Post by Amber »

anotherdad wrote:You're both worrying unnecessarily and I endorse what KatherineB says. I can't put it any more succinctly than that. :D
+1
Let it go now, really.

One of mine did abysmally in SATs; went on to get a clean run of top grades at GCSE and A level and is on course for a first at RG uni. Let it go. Life is too short, it really is.
anotherdad wrote: In fact, there are plenty of cases where children who arrive at grammar school in year 8 or later achieve at least as well and better than their peers who joined in year 7.
Oh yeah, one of mine did that too. Narrowly missed 11+ entry, went in at Y8, and off to a very prestigious university this year with a u/c offer after A levels. SATs are nothing. Nothing.
Aethel

Post by Aethel »

It’s utterly fine, do not worry. We got our second set of SATs to look at (DD1 has just finished y7 at a grammar as some of you know).

The SATs are testing whether your kids can recognise a fronted adverbial (!!!) and a present perfect tense. Whether they can spell the words “delightful” and “thumb”.
Whether they can interpret a written passage from someone’s point of view.

This is utterly different to the 11 plus quick-fire-maths-problems and multiple choice synonyms. Which is why you often get kids who have been 11plus positive but don’t necessarily get a super-high score. But it DOESN’t matter. The Ks2 SATs also bear little relation to the skills which will serve your child well at secondary. A good attitude to work, bright brain , and enthusiasm are important and what will help them, not a particular SAT score.

And gently put.... I suspect some of those friends are just lying about their results!
There was a particularly brash child in DD2s year who told everyone very loudly how well she had done in the 11 plus who turned up at the comp transition day... (she had not turned the place down, just had been creative with her scoring).
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

For some individuals the KS2 test score is an anomaly. However, in general my personal experience working at a GS is that the KS2 tests were better predictors than the 11+ score.

Children and parents tend to be economical with the truth - a remember one of DS's friends telling me he had got all level 6s - strange because there was no level 6 at the time - I didn't challenge him.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now