Bursary places

Independent Schools as an alternative to Grammar

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
BeckMum

Bursary places

Post by BeckMum »

Dear all,

Lets say a school has 10 bursary places and we apply for bursary , normally do the schools consider them only for the bursary places ? Would they be given an offer for non bursary place if

1. The child has qualified for means tested bursary but has not performed that well in the test compared to the other children requesting bursary but has performed on par with children not asking for bursary.
2. The child has performed well in the entrance exam , but has not qualified for bursary due to means testing.

In short my question is, is the competition different between bursary and non-bursary places ?

Really appreciate your wisdom.

Schools in consideration are CLSG , JAGS, Alleyns, Sevenoaks, Whitgift

Many Thanks
rosiemum

Re: Bursary places

Post by rosiemum »

Schools should offer your child a place irrespective of whether they get a bursary or not if they do as well as the children applying for non-bursary places. (if that makes sense!). Basically if they perform well enough for entry they will be offered a place even if they can't offer a bursary place.
MCLC

Post by MCLC »

We applied to one of the schools on your list and one other for a bursary place. We got offered a bursary place at both schools. One of the schools made a home visit and their policy is to consider all applicants based on the results of the main entrance examination. The school not on your list said that they would inform parents if they were going to offer the child an interview but without a bursary. This would give the family the opportunity to cancel the application if they felt they couldn't afford the fee's. Many schools have a sliding scale which they apply when working out what to offer in way of a bursary. JAGS/Whitgift have this information available on their websites so this will give you a clear indication of what you would be offered if your daughter were successful in the exam.
Rhinoo

Post by Rhinoo »

Check school to school. I don't know about the girls' schools, but CLS (Boys) has two entirely separate streams for bursary and non-bursary places (same exams, but different groups.) If you go for a bursary place, you will NOT be offered a full fee place.
nylon14

Post by nylon14 »

CLSG is very different. You are given the option of either bursary if offered or full fee paying place. The bursary applications are only assessed after you have pas..... I could be wrong, checking my emails...and found the following:

"MEANS-TESTED BURSARY AWARDS – Up to 30 awarded each year ranging from smaller 20% awards right up to full fees. Please have a look at the finer details in the attached booklet and do not just assume that you won’t qualify!

At the moment, all you need to do is let us know (using the form that follows) that **** would like to apply. You don’t need to fill in a bursary application form with financial details unless your daughter is successful in our entry exam. We will let you know this in mid January, and if successful you will fill in the bursary form and bring this along to the interview in the last week of January. So there’s nothing further to do now. Any questions just let me know."
BeckMum

Post by BeckMum »

Thank you all for your responses. really appreciate it
PettswoodFiona

Post by PettswoodFiona »

Sevenoaks do the bursary assessment prior to the test so you know whether you’d qualify under their criteria. They use a third party to do the assessment and it involved a lot of disclosure and a home visit. How that works out for allocation of places after the test I don’t know.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now