Bucks 13+ - February 2019

Eleven Plus (11+) in Buckinghamshire (Bucks)

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

Purple Teapot

Bucks 13+ - February 2019

Post by Purple Teapot »

Wondered if anyone could give any advice, looking for my ds to take the 13+ which I reckon from previous years will be early February 2019 and if successful/places available for admission into Year 9 in September 2019. Couple of questions - does anyone know what the test is as I understand the 11plus has changed since my son did it in Sept 16.
Is there a criteria for taking the test ie do we have to provide evidence that we feel he is suitable to take the test based on current educational results or support from current school? And finally, what are the chances if he is successful to get a place at JHGS? ie are there many places available for entry into year 9 - I know that some of the grammar schools have issued letters regarding additional funding to go over PAN in year 9 but not sure when this will start if indeed it will! Long shot I know but if anyone has any advice would be very helpful. Just teetering at the beginning of a possible new journey ! TIA :wink:
Guest55

Re: Bucks 13+ - February 2019

Post by Guest55 »

The page here: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/services/edu ... admission/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

tells us very little at present about next year's test.

Here's where to enter: https://www.buckscc.gov.uk/apply-for-a- ... sfer-test/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

There is some info here about last year: https://www.elevenplusexams.co.uk/forum ... e+transfer" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

My DS did it last year. It was the old CEM test but it differed in the respect that they take it online. He was successful this time. The main difference was his VR score, which was more inline with his other scores.

We didn't apply for JHGS sorry but we were well aware that the schools we wanted were full. DS was aware that the chances of getting a place were slim and I was aware that even with a successful result an Appeal was inevitable.

We did have a strong case for wanting the schools we were Appealing for but the first was already over PAN. The second was successful.

Goodluck, it is a tough decision to make but if your DS wants to do it and is realistic about the outcome then I would go for it. My DS fully intended to have another go next year if our Appeals had both been unsuccessful.
kittymum

Post by kittymum »

The other option is to consider the schools which have an extra class starting in year 9. Borlase is phasing this out but I think they will take one in 2019. Their 13+ is curriculum based - English Maths Science and MFL.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

Ditto Kittymum, had we been aware we would have opted for this also, as we have flexibility in where we live.
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Yes but your DS has ended up in a great school :)

It's unclear whether the Late Transfer test will change to GL.
Tolstoy

Post by Tolstoy »

:x and I get to stay put for the next 5 years. SWB also don’t to 3 year key stage 3.
However it is about what meets your DCs needs. If they don’t change will they reuse what they already have? Old CEM
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now