Confirmation of university place

Discussion and advice on University Education

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

avidskier

Confirmation of university place

Post by avidskier »

Last year a friend of our DD found out several days before results day that her university place was confirmed in UCAS. Is this also the experience of others out there, I would be interested for Cambridge in particular? If it is generally posted early, we are running the risk that we won’t be around to support our DD when she finds out where she is going (she is assuming the worst!). We are on a parent only holiday until the day before results day.. (hurrah!).
Guest55

Re: Confirmation of university place

Post by Guest55 »

It would not have been through UCAS as there is an embargo but sometimes universities do send e-mails. I very much doubt that will happen in this case.
hermanmunster

Post by hermanmunster »

Agree UCAS is more or less shut down to students for a few days before results day - some Unis send automated e-mails out at they have been known to appear the day before the official results day but they are few and far between. Am sure nothing will happen while you are on holiday
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Ah, thanks Hermanmunster and Guest55. That is good.. the communications where we are going are not good, so I was not looking forward to that scenario. Said friend went to St Andrews who maybe function slightly outside of the usual system.
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

avidskier wrote:Ah, thanks Hermanmunster and Guest55. That is good.. the communications where we are going are not good, so I was not looking forward to that scenario. Said friend went to St Andrews who maybe function slightly outside of the usual system.
Had the friend also taken Highers/ Advanced Highers, rather than A levels? SQA results come out just over a week before A levels.
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

She definitely did A-Levels, and told us that her application status changed in UCAS about 4 days prior to getting her results (when she got her results she realised that she had in fact narrowly missed the grades she needed).. but it didn’t matter in the end!
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

It would NOT have changed in UCAS as that is locked once unis get the A level results ie the weekend before. I think the parent may have misunderstood.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Guest55 wrote:It would NOT have changed in UCAS as that is locked once unis get the A level results ie the weekend before. I think the parent may have misunderstood.
I agree this sounds most unlikely. I have heard of universities themselves confirming places the day before, but UCAS starts to update from the early hours of results day.

(Another bonus of the gap year - DS had his place confirmed a fair while ago).
solimum

Post by solimum »

As the physical process of sorting through and finalising the offers presumably takes place for several days before they are published, it is quite plausible to me that human error led to someone (at the uni, or at UCAS) prematurely releasing information to visibility a few days early. Rather like school admissions, it doesn't all happen automatically in some giant supercomputer with perfect knowledge but with hundreds of individual administrators and academics battling with various clashing IT systems!
avidskier

Post by avidskier »

Ah well.. it looks like we will be able to relax on holiday without any melt downs at home. Thanks for all your replies. I will let you know if anything unusual happens!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now