DS feels he is done with Mock papers

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
StowMum

DS feels he is done with Mock papers

Post by StowMum »

Dear Forum members,

Should I be worried? My DS has scored well on tests he has done to date (better at Maths, NVR than VR and English). He has sat down this week and completed two assessment papers and scored well but not to his normal standard. When DH went over the paper my son knew the answers to the majority of the questions he got wrong. DS says he will perform better on the day and check his answers on the day but is bored with the mock papers!! :o

I am now revising my summer plan as I initially was going to get DS to complete 3 Mock papers (GL assessment and CEM pack- sitting for three schools) and spend the rest of the week working on VR and English.

We have already had time off at a festival for the weekend, off to Alton towers next week and have a 4 day camping trip booked for mid August. Maybe we should take a complete two week break and then maybe he will focus? Time is ticking and his first exam is in the 02nd September (Latymer).

Any ideas?

StowMum
Aethel

Re: DS feels he is done with Mock papers

Post by Aethel »

Practice fatigue is very common at this time, especiallyif you’ve been at it sonce last January or last September.....

Give it a total break for 2 weeks to let him recharge. It won’t affect his final scores.
stroudydad

Post by stroudydad »

Summer holiday are there for a reason...he will be fatigued enough without any 11+ work. Let the lad have a break... my DS has only today done his first full practice paper...!
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

Thanks Aethel and Stroudydad,

We both need a break from the papers and this heat is not helping! Whilst the sun is out we should enjoy it as much as we can......feel a water fight will definitely get rid of the fatigue and re-engerise us! We can start again after the camping trip.

Its so easy to get caught up in the 11+ bubble and let it take over.Thanks for the reality check :D

StowMum
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

I’m finding this with my DD too. Think they all just want it over with now.
Stokers

Post by Stokers »

In the last few weeks with DD, we pretty much abandoned full papers and just concentrated on specific areas. She was much more prepared to complete a targeted exercise than a whole paper. Think about what areas need the work rather than whole papers just for the sake of it.
SofiaCerano

Post by SofiaCerano »

Stokers wrote:In the last few weeks with DD, we pretty much abandoned full papers and just concentrated on specific areas. She was much more prepared to complete a targeted exercise than a whole paper. Think about what areas need the work rather than whole papers just for the sake of it.

This is good advice, thank you.
11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now