Summer Vacation and study

Discussion and advice on GCSEs

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Platform - Online Practice Makes Perfect - Try Now
test1

Summer Vacation and study

Post by test1 »

I was surprised to hear that some children actually study (or are made to study) during summer vacation - moving Y9 to Y10. Apparently, some private tutors especially cater to this market.

Has anyone else experienced this or what I've seen only an exception?
Why would one spend their vacation in studying - that too moving in Year 10. There are 2 full good years to study. Aren't vacations/holidays for enjoyment.
Tinkers

Re: Summer Vacation and study

Post by Tinkers »

First I’ve heard of it. We certainly didn’t.
doodles

Post by doodles »

Not heard of any of my friends dc's doing that. Many don't start GCSE courses until year 10 and holidays are for recharging the batteries at that age in my opinion.
Knowledge is knowing that a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad !
anotherdad

Post by anotherdad »

test1 wrote:I was surprised to hear that some children actually study (or are made to study) during summer vacation - moving Y9 to Y10. Apparently, some private tutors especially cater to this market.

Has anyone else experienced this or what I've seen only an exception?
Why would one spend their vacation in studying - that too moving in Year 10. There are 2 full good years to study. Aren't vacations/holidays for enjoyment.
Probably just one-upmanship. A particular sort of parent believes that doing that sort of thing - or probably saying they're doing that sort of thing - reflects positively on them. It doesn't.
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:First I’ve heard of it. We certainly didn’t.
Isn't this just another version of the baby gym/tennis lessons at 3/piano lessons at 4/ better sign up or your child will forever fester in the cess pit of low achievement thing which starts before you even conceive these days?

Put it this way, if a family feels a child needs tutoring in the summer between Y9 and Y10 then they either have their priorities seriously wrong or else an early meeting with the school ought to be scheduled for September.
piggys

Post by piggys »

I tutor mainly GCSE and A level and I don't do this. I guess it's just you, OP.
scary mum

Post by scary mum »

I can imagine my offsprings' reaction if I had suggested this :lol: :lol:
scary mum
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Ths summer (between finishing GCSEs and starting A levels) is the first time DD has ever had any work given to do over the summer holidays. Tbh it’s hardly a lot, and more a case of keeping things ticking over. Some of it involves watching the odd film (for English Lit) and reading the odd book. The chemistry was so little she managed that in half a morning.

(And Amber, we were very later starters in the Tinkers household. DD started piano just before 11yo and sort of took up violin very recently after my evil sister gave her one last year. She never did baby college or tennis lessons either.)
Amber

Post by Amber »

Tinkers wrote:(And Amber, we were very later starters in the Tinkers household. DD started piano just before 11yo and sort of took up violin very recently after my evil sister gave her one last year. She never did baby college or tennis lessons either.)
Shocking. Speechless.
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

Amber wrote:
Tinkers wrote:(And Amber, we were very later starters in the Tinkers household. DD started piano just before 11yo and sort of took up violin very recently after my evil sister gave her one last year. She never did baby college or tennis lessons either.)
Shocking. Speechless.

I know. I’m a terrible parent.