Tutor gossip

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Lassie

Tutor gossip

Post by Lassie »

It makes me smile that admissions paranoia stretches now to dissing the tutor you have chosen for your child. Let's not discuss necessarily but just reflect on such approval seeking anxieties and what that does to the children of such parents.
capers123

Re: Tutor gossip

Post by capers123 »

Lassie wrote:It makes me smile that admissions paranoia stretches now to dissing the tutor you have chosen for your child. Let's not discuss necessarily but just reflect on such approval seeking anxieties and what that does to the children of such parents.
Oooh, no - let's discuss it!

Hey, there are some awful tutors out there just in it to make money, with no real worries about how able a child is to cope with the work - they'll happily pander to the "get my child through at all costs" parent, who will likewise slag the tutor off when their none-too-bright child fails to get a place.

And then there are some really good tutors out there, who will tell the parents if they have suspicions that the child is weak or very weak in one or more areas of the curriculum, and will also say if there's no real chance of either passing the exam or coping at the school if they do pass.

There are some tutors who give just the right level of tutoring to get a child familiar with the question types & exam, yet still have fun with the exam.
Capers
zorro

Post by zorro »

I'm afraid my DS's tutor fell into the first category!
Glos_Mum

Re: Tutor gossip

Post by Glos_Mum »

Last edited by Glos_Mum on Sun Oct 06, 2013 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

My son had a fab tutor who, having realised my son was really bright, finished all his sessions by doing some really advanced maths or showing him things like the Fibonacci Sequence. He absolutely loved it and really looked forward to his tutor sessions.

My daughter's tutor had a very different approach but was still very competent, although not as much fun. I think we were very fortunate to find two very good tutors - they're like gold dust round here.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

:lol:

I just kept thinking of Goldilocks and the Three Tutors reading this thread!!

:wink:
Sam's Mum

Post by Sam's Mum »

:lol: :lol: :lol:
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

Can I add the parents who ring up 10 minutes before the lesson and announce that the child won't be coming today, after you have spent ages preparing the session?
fm

Post by fm »

Two years ago, I had so many parents messing me about, I decided no more Mrs Nice Girl. I now make it clear from the outset that if they don't show, they still have to pay. My absentee rate is now zero.
yoyo123

Post by yoyo123 »

I realise I started off being too trusting!

The new (notso)lean mean yoyo is now in busines!
11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now