Are we doing the right thing

Discussion of the 11 Plus

Moderators: Section Moderators, Forum Moderators

11 Plus Mocks - Practise the real exam experience - Book Now
Thwaitsey

Are we doing the right thing

Post by Thwaitsey »

When I sit down with my son to do the papers he always seems to complain and say that they are to hard and he can’t do it. Then I start to panic. Is this right for him?? I’m not sure if he’s just getting fed up with me telling him to go and do his work or that he’s really struggling. I have spoken to his tutor a few times and she’s told me over and over again that he’s doing brilliant within his lessons and has good results on his practice tests. He does get his books out most days to do his work so I know he wants to take the tests. His school teacher has also said he’s a good candidate aswell. My head is swimming with everything that we need to do so I can only imagine how he is feeling. I’m trying not to put to much pressure on him but at the same time I want him to keep revising. Heeelllllpppp
mystery

Re: Are we doing the right thing

Post by mystery »

Which test and when?

One of mine was like this and came out of real thing having sobbed in the breaks and cried all the way home telling me everything she had missed out or done wrong. Got v high score.

She just never properly took me n the fact that you do not have to get it all correct to pass or get a high score.
DC17C

Post by DC17C »

I found it impossible to work with my son...we just seemed to get into power struggles and arguements...so I have to leave all matters around education to tutors and teachers and just keep the mum hat on...and keep my anxieties away from the situation...
Guest55

Post by Guest55 »

Give him a complete break.
StowMum

Post by StowMum »

A couple of Days off did my DS the World of good. We were in somewhat similar situation at the beginning of summer with mock papers and I was very anxious as to whether we had put too much pressure on him. A week off with no mention of tests worked for us then and we are planning it again. Obviously the exams are close so you need to consider how much time DC has off at this stage. My DS has 4 days off at camping this week with no books (apart from his graphic novels), lots of fresh air (hopefully no rain). We will then hit the books on our return before his first exam, I am hoping this will keep him on track.

Children get frustrated very quickly when they cannot answer some papers and this manifests in them being upset and proclaiming the "paper is to hard". Don't worry - just keep the mood happy and make sure they have lots of time doing the things they love, this will hopefully balance the negativity....Goodluck!

StowMum
ToadMum

Post by ToadMum »

Guest55 wrote:Give him a complete break.
+1
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog it's too dark to read.Groucho Marx
Thwaitsey

Post by Thwaitsey »

Thank you everyone. We just tried 11+ maths and verbal reasoning paper and it didn’t go well at all it was the CEM papers i feel like an awful mother right now.
mystery

Post by mystery »

Are you doing CEM? If not, I'd just go through the GL papers - and if he's finding them too hard do them with him then he can do them on his own another time.
Thwaitsey

Post by Thwaitsey »

What’s the difference between CEM and GL please don’t tell me I’ve brough him the wrong papers, definitely says 11+ 2018 :o :? :cry:
Tinkers

Post by Tinkers »

What school will your DC be sitting a test for?